Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 48

1 members and 47 guests
Most users ever online was 4,279, 05-30-2021 at 06:56 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,367
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Let's bring this forum back to life with some Pellet Pooper controversy

I SOLD THE Bellfab stick burner and am considering the RecTec 700 as it's replacement. At $1200 it's not cheap but I've heard and read great things about it. Yeah, I know, not traditional. The truth is, I'm older, know i can cook BBQ on a stickburner and dam nit, just don't want to work as hard at this as I used to. Any thoughts from those of you that might still be lurking around? Just FYI, I'm not spending super huge $$$ on a cooker, i'm happy with the $1000-1500 range. Any input is appreciated!
    Weber Performer grill
    KingCooker fish fryer
    Weber Genesis Gas Grill
    RecTec RT700 Pellet Smoker

Hi there
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Default 'member me?

Been a while. Have missed you all. Recently, in a fit of rage, I threw all of the redneck smokers in the scrap heap and pulled the trigger on a pellet pooper. I realize it is heresy...but there's a whole lot more grey in my beard and a lot less hair on my lid compared to my avatar image. Smoke on everyone!

BFG.jpg
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

@Geek with fire , How do you like the BFG? I bought the 700 a few weeks back and LOVE IT. I've done brisket, ribs, chicken and a fatty so far. I've been using the Sams Club "smokehouse" pellets, 50/50 blend of Oak and Hickory. I can't complain a bit at this point!
    Weber Performer grill
    KingCooker fish fryer
    Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    @Geek with fire , How do you like the BFG? I bought the 700 a few weeks back and LOVE IT. I've done brisket, ribs, chicken and a fatty so far. I've been using the Sams Club "smokehouse" pellets, 50/50 blend of Oak and Hickory. I can't complain a bit at this point!
    I should have gone with the 700. The BFG is too big for most of my needs. Large temp variations (as I should have expected) from the middle to the sides. So while this allows for cooking different things at different temperatures, large cooks of the same thing (like 12 butts) is tricky. Rotating the roasts throughout the cook is required for everything to cook evenly. And the smoke is way way on the low side. We started to supplement with a smoke tube...which isn't ideal or the same thing as smoke from sticks.

But at the end of the day, I'll probably never go back. It is just too easy. Starting the cooker when I leave town, and cooker is up to temp when I get home. I actually use it more for steaks (500 degrees) than low and slow smokes. So again, in that regard, a smaller cooker would have made more sense (and I ultimately may get one to add to the collection).
    Josh

Thanks for the info. That seems to be a pretty consistent story about the BFG. No complaints about the 700 so far.

I 100% agree about not going back. I'm too old and too lazy!
    Just knowing that I have the skill to use a stickburner is enough, lol. I've managed fires, stayed up far too late, started way too early etc. I'm all about setting the 700 on Low and going to bed and not missing a wink of sleep.

Don't hesitate to add the 700. You'll love it! I haven't used mine for steaks yet, just smoking. I still have a Weber performer charcoal grill and a Weber Genesis gas grill for anything the 700 won't do well.
    Weber Performer grill
    KingCooker fish fryer
    Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Cooking a little over 50 pounds of butts for a graduation this weekend. This is a first practice session for one of my kids' weddings later this year. Was hoping I could fit all in for one cook. Now I'm thinking it is going to take at least 2 sessions. Temperature management is tricky going higher on the racks. But possible.

https://youtu.be/FlT76HamKNU
    Josh

Da mn, i hate to hear that. Iím sure the warm up cook and the wedding will both be successful!
    Weber Performer grill
    KingCooker fish fryer
    Weber Genesis Gas Grill