» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 50

0 members and 50 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SmokyOkie Guest

Mr L, when you bought the lid, did they ask you for the serial# off your grill? They used to do that and woudl only sell them to people that had a grill.

+1 for what TOMSHOOTS said.

I too have a 'topper' style dome fashioned from a third section of a barrel that has been welded onto the original lid. Makes a perfect seal, lets you raise the grate up to within 2" of the top, and adds more volume to the chamber. The performance and product results are outstanding.

However, I also build drum smokers for charity auction that utilize a standard Weber domed lid. Bidders seem to like the look of the very recognizable domed lid. It also is a bit lighter and easier to handle than a traditional 'topper', appealing to a larger group of users.

It has been my experience that the Weber domes do not perfectly fit most drums. There may be some drums out there that are just the right diameter, but I haven't come across one yet. I did find one particular make that worked better than others, but the lid could still become slightly 'offset' and let air enter into the drum. Losing that seal will cause drafting that could mess with your temp control.

What I ended up doing (after trying various methods of improving the fit and seal) was to go back to the same methodology used for the 'topper'. Just tack weld the Weber dome onto the drum's original lid. Cut out all but about an inch border of the lid for free access to the inside of the dome. Seal the inside of the dome to lid union channel with a bead of 3M Fire Barrier Sealant. Makes a perfect seal every time.

As far as the Weber's exhaust goes, it has not been an issue on any of the drums I have built. The one mod I have made (over the traditional UDS build) was to go up from a 3/4" brass ball valve to a full port 1" brass ball valve. The other two intakes remain 3/4" nipples. That little increase in size for the primary intake gives you a bit more flexibility for fire/temp control.

Hope that helps somewhat. Changing volume sure changes the dynamics of the chamber, so it would be better to stick with one lid during a cook. If the dome keeps giving you trouble I would start by looking at the fit/seal.

Default Webber lid

no sir no question about serial no. I went to a dealer and he ordered it for me . no questions
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Mr L, when you bought the lid, did they ask you for the serial# off your grill? They used to do that and woudl only sell them to people that had a grill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3