» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 67

0 members and 67 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Weber lid for UDS Help Please!

I'm in the process of building my second UDS. I have a Weber Kettle lid that I've modified to fit on top. Do I need to drill any more exhaust holes on the lid? Today I put the Weber lid on my existing UDS while I was smoking and my temps kept dropping. I couldn't seem to keep the temp regulated at all. When I'd open all the intakes valves I could get the temp up, but as I'd start closing them it just would never stabilize. Any help is appreciated!

I didn't make any new holes on my Weber lid for my UDS and it works just fine.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Mama View Post
    I'm in the process of building my second UDS. I have a Weber Kettle lid that I've modified to fit on top. Do I need to drill any more exhaust holes on the lid? Today I put the Weber lid on my existing UDS while I was smoking and my temps kept dropping. I couldn't seem to keep the temp regulated at all. When I'd open all the intakes valves I could get the temp up, but as I'd start closing them it just would never stabilize. Any help is appreciated!
    I have found that switching lids during a smoke can cause temps to go up or down, and become hard to regulate. My drum, the Topper has a lid made from a third of a barrel. So it has a much larger cooking chamber up top. One time during a cook, I switched and put on the Weber lid. Temp went WAY up and fast! It was hard to get stable. Put the Topper lid back in place and the problem went away.

I guess the Weber lid having so much less inside area reflected heat downward so it couldn't dissipate. Sort of concentrated if you will.

But if I use the Weber lid to start with, I have no probs.

Next time you might try using the Weber lid from the start and see what happens.

And John is right, standard Weber vents work just fine on a drum. No need for more.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

SmokyOkie Guest

I have trouble keeping temps down on my rotiss drum with the Weber lid on it if and only if there is a fair amount of wind. Other than that it runs great. If there is a lot of wind, I can't even smother the fire iwth all the intakes shut tight.

My solution, don't use it if it is gonna be very windy.

annybody else got any ideas on the subject?

One question comes to mind. The fuel you were using .. was it new or had it been previously used and collected moisture? Also maybe ash plugging the bottom of the basket? And I've seen different results in burning by rotating the placement of the exhaust which causes a different air flow.

Just suggestions for ya to think about.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    One question comes to mind. The fuel you were using .. was it new or had it been previously used and collected moisture? Also maybe ash plugging the bottom of the basket? And I've seen different results in burning by rotating the placement of the exhaust which causes a different air flow.

Just suggestions for ya to think about.
    Good points.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Thanks...I had just cleaned out my drum and started with fresh lump charcoal, so moisture and ash were not the problem. I can see where rotating for different airflow may help. I had switched lids during the smoke, so I will try using the Weber lid from the beginning next time and see if I can keep temps regulated. Appreciate everyone's help!

Cool Weber Lid

I added an extra vent on my weber lid. I like to have a little more control over the temp. It helps when i'm going for the higher temps. Usually when i'm cookin' chicken. Even sometimes for some unknown reason the normal vent holes on the lid just ain't enough. I had to make my own cap for it though. Didn't have a reg one laying around.

55 gal. UDS
    Ducane BBQ Grill
    XL Big Green Egg

Thanks for the pictures Big G...on my first UDS I had put 8 - 1" holes and I find this to work great. That's why I had considered adding a few, maybe 3 additional 1" holes to the Weber kettle lid. What size hole is yours?

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Mama View Post
    Thanks for the pictures Big G...on my first UDS I had put 8 - 1" holes and I find this to work great. That's why I had considered adding a few, maybe 3 additional 1" holes to the Weber kettle lid. What size hole is yours?
    The 8 holes works great (same as a BDS), but the prollem I had was that rain would work its way into the drum through them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast