Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

7 members and 23 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Gasser grease fire

I wanted to grill some bacon this morning, so I threw a pound of Maple Cured on the Weber Q320. Flipped it at about 5 minutes in, then the phone rang (work). Forgot about the bacon while dealing with work issues, till I spotted thick black smoke coming out of the Q320.

Ran outside and found the thermo in the lid reading 600 degrees.

I opened the lid to find the pound of bacon completely gone, and a pretty good grease fire going. I decided to let it burn itself out (I keep a fire extinguisher about 6ft away if anything gets too out of control) and shut the gas off. Probably 10 min later it ran itself out of grease.

After having something else for breakfast, I went out to survey the damage if any. The Q320 is made of thick castings, so no warped or discolored metal. The grill was squeaky clean, and all of the goop that had been in the lower half from a year of once a week use was all grey powder, and it swept right out. Never thought one of Bacon's many uses could be as a grill cleaner.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

Sounds like everything worked out OK. My sympathies on your loss of bacon.
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Thats Bacon AbuseThat is why they make answering machines & voice mail. Nothing and I mean NOTHING gets between a fat man and his food
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I'm mourning the loss of a fine slab of pig - gave it's all so that the grill may have a cleaner more productive life.... A moment of silence

Glad the Weber will take the heat and keep right on truckin. My Duo has had about all the grease bomb fires it can take. The gasser side has had a ton of grease bomb burgers ran across it and has flamed up many a time ... and the metal is becoming transparent for it.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by O B City View Post
    I wanted to grill some bacon this morning, so I threw a pound of Maple Cured on the Weber Q320. Flipped it at about 5 minutes in, then the phone rang (work). Forgot about the bacon while dealing with work issues, till I spotted thick black smoke coming out of the Q320.

Ran outside and found the thermo in the lid reading 600 degrees.

I opened the lid to find the pound of bacon completely gone, and a pretty good grease fire going. I decided to let it burn itself out (I keep a fire extinguisher about 6ft away if anything gets too out of control) and shut the gas off. Probably 10 min later it ran itself out of grease.

After having something else for breakfast, I went out to survey the damage if any. The Q320 is made of thick castings, so no warped or discolored metal. The grill was squeaky clean, and all of the goop that had been in the lower half from a year of once a week use was all grey powder, and it swept right out. Never thought one of Bacon's many uses could be as a grill cleaner.
    O B City, The big deal with Weber grills of any size is to keep the bottom pan clean. My Spirit S-320 requires a good cleaning about every 3rd cook. If you like, I can hook you up with a dedicated Weber site that goes into this in great detail.

Weber Spirit S-320 LP Gas Grill
    Charbroil Oil less Turkey Fryer
    Wife 1956 model