» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 34

0 members and 34 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Husdon Valley Ribfest Results

Had a good time this weekend, but came away scratching my head at the results, both good and bad. I suppose my perceived bad offsets the perceived good, so I probably did about like I should have overall.

The first day and a half out there was really nice, a little warm, but nothing extreme. We had one hell of storm on Sunday between the rib and pork turn ins that knocked out power and left plenty of puddles around to contend with during load up, but all and all not much to complain about.

Chicken (46 of 59) - this is the first one that had me going upon seeing the results. I don't compete much compared to many, but have done 3 comps this year prior to this weekend. Those previous 3 grabbed me a 1st, 5th, 6th, so I felt very comfortable with this category and turn in......this chicken seemed no different than the othes I turned in this year. I must have hit a table of Pigcicles.

Ribs (2 of 59) - I liked my turn in and so did the judges. I kind of cut things close as I didn't like my presentation and basically gutted the box and started over without much time to spare. Glad I did......all 9s in presentation and every little bit helps.

Pork (18 of 59) - Didn't really have as much time to spend on the turn in as I would have liked due to dealing with the storm, but we were all in the same boat out there. I cooked 2 butts, one I pulled early to have a nice slicing money muscle..........I forked it up with my knife skills. The other gave some good chunks& pulled, but nothing to brag about. I thought it should have scored worse than it did, so really I was pleasantly surprised with the 18th.

Brisket (16 of 59) - My next big . The last couple of times out I really loved my brisket and it tanked, one time easily costing me RGC. In talking with people and studying the scores, I felt like I was probably overcooking it some for this region of the country. I was shooting for something with more tug and I got it. This damn thing was the toughest brisket I have ever turned in. I felt it was the absolute worst brisket turn in I have ever done in a contest anywhere. It looked nice, it tasted good, but tough, tough, tough. Naturally, I did that when I decided to only cook one brisket. I guess next time I need to shoot for something in between this one and what I did at the start of the year.

Overall - 13 of 59 - Not bad, but a bit disappointing as I had higher goals going into the weekend, but considering the chicken, I came out with a respectable finish.

Thanks for letting me get this all of my chest.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Welcome to competition BBQ where nothing is certain other than the facts that you will spend a lot of $ and work your *** off.

Congrats on the rib call!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Welcome to competition BBQ where nothing is certain other than the facts that you will spend a lot of $ and work your *** off.
    Thats for sure.

My son came with me this time and we both enjoyed it. It wasn nice to get some one on one time with. It doesn't happen often enough and it made the weekend all worthwhile.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Nothing is more important that one on one time with your kids.

Been there...I feel for you man. It's all down to the luck of the table if you ask me.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    Been there...I feel for you man. It's all down to the luck of the table if you ask me.
    That is always a major factor. Rule #1 when it comes to that, don't take any chances that your flavor might offend even the most sensitive tastes.

One thing that I really liked about the FBA is that on your results sheet, you could see what other teams hit your table. I always figured that if I won my table, then I pretty much did all I could do.

With KCBS, it seems like the score sheets are damn near useless.
    FBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

I like that. Did you win your table?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I like that. Did you win your table?
    This was KCBS so I have no idea.

But with the scores I got, I doubt it.
    FBJ

After all the coaching I've given you on chicken ...

Sorry bout the less than desired results but it's cool that you got to spend some time with the boy and had a good time - priceless and more valuable every year from now on.

Just keep doing what you do buster - don't let a bad day change the whole game.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!