usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 27

6 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Pretty cool Tom. If it works out good can you send me a pallet or two of it?

Local burning ordinance?
    Yes Tim, it's a local ordinance that stinks because people two blocks away can burn anything and any time they wish! I live kinda on the edge of the community so I'm at the mercy of the Fire Marshal when it comes to burning, never a problem with the drum smoking away or the small fire box on the patio but let some thick smoke roll and here come the boyz with a ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
    I just happen to have a teenage boy.

Cool! Mind if I borrow him for a few hours?
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

OK folks here's an update. I opened the drum this afternoon and got a whiff of the usual lump smell. Good sign I thought. This is what I saw inside.

Cool! Looks like lump charcoal alright. I reached in and picked up a few pieces for closer examination. I was struck by how light it was. Way less density than my usual. Also more delicate and brittle.

Here's a shot of one of those Kingsford Kaddy's full of my homemade charcoal. The rest had to go in this:

...a 20lb Lazzarri bag that I emptied into another mesquite lump bag.

The Kaddy holds 18-20 lbs of charcoal. But as I mentioned this stuff is lighter. So I'm guesstimating about 20 lb total yield from about half a drums worth of oak chunks.

The low density makes me think this will have a shorter burn than what I usually get. We'll see.

Why is it lighter? Well I noticed while I was processing chunks, some of the wood was lighter due to rot. I tried to reject as much of this as I could. But some probly got in there. I took wood from this particular pile because I knew it was very well seasoned. I have more that is "newer." It might give better results.

Anyway, let's see how this stuff works. Stay tuned, 'cause it's Friday! Anybody know what that means?
    UDS, Vicking grill

At least you didn't open the drum up and find a pile of ashes.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Looks good I have found that the hotter that the fire gets has something to do with how the lump turns out. The way that I do it with the 30 gallon drum if the fire burns to fast I will get a lot of wood that did not get all the way burnt off. And if the fire burns to slow I have less lump and it is light and brittle.
    Fish-fire

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-fire View Post
    Looks good I have found that the hotter that the fire gets has something to do with how the lump turns out. The way that I do it with the 30 gallon drum if the fire burns to fast I will get a lot of wood that did not get all the way burnt off. And if the fire burns to slow I have less lump and it is light and brittle.

So maybe I should try again with a hotter fire for a faster burn. I'm thinking maybe bigger chunks too. Heck it would be less work to bust up the lump than hackin' all that wood.

Thanks for the tip Fish.
    Last edited by tomshoots; 07-16-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    UDS, Vicking grill

Well, let's try it! I wanted to cook some of these chuck eyes.

I poured a fair amount into the kettle and placed my electric starter in place. Then I went inside. Mrs. shoots had asked me to help change sheets on the bed.

Once that was done, I went to the kitchen to pour myself a cocktail. I assumed I had time for that before the fire would be ready. But I glanced out the window to see that the coals were already white! Lot's of flame too! I was sure this stuff would burn fast but that fire was ready in less than 10 minutes! Better get cookin'!

On the grill. Fire was way hot! Seared both side really fast. I knew they were still red inside so I set off for a little indirect cookin'

At this point, I would usually have a chunk of smoke wood in there for flavor, but I left it out this time just to see what flavor the charcoal alone would give.

Sheesh! Done already, in less time than it would normally take JUST to light a fire!

Mmmmm...

With roasted tater salad and fresh sweet 'loupe(not pictured)

Deelish!!

Well in conclusion, I'd have to say this was not a complete success, but still a success. The charcoal gave my steaks a great flavor, just slightly smokey. It's great for fast grilling, ready to cook on VERY quickly. Something Mama will appreciate when she comes home hungry and Tom's late gettin' dinner started!

However, I don't believe it's gonna be worth a chit in the drum. Clearly it will burn too fast for low and slow smoking, and probly be difficult to control temps.

It's been an interesting experience, and I'd like to try again. Experiment with more and bigger chunks, more or less fire etc.

Anyway, hope y'all enjoyed. Thank's for checkin' in!
    UDS, Vicking grill

I'd eat a whole heap of your steaks Tom! Those look great

I wonder if you came up with a thermo to check the temp of the barrel before / during your process if that would help. I also have to think that the charcoal places probably don't "age" their wood before burning it to charcoal so I'd say moisture content of the wood prior to burning has a lot to do with the final product too.

Keep trying and fill us in with what you come up with buster.

Great job and thanks for sharing it with us.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    I'd eat a whole heap of your steaks Tom! Those look great

I wonder if you came up with a thermo to check the temp of the barrel before / during your process if that would help. I also have to think that the charcoal places probably don't "age" their wood before burning it to charcoal so I'd say moisture content of the wood prior to burning has a lot to do with the final product too.

Keep trying and fill us in with what you come up with buster.

Great job and thanks for sharing it with us.
    Hadn't thought of using a thermo, but don't know what temp it should be anyway. But you're probably right about the moisture content. That's why I want to try some more recently cut wood.
    UDS, Vicking grill

Some fine looking steaks!!!!
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast