Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

9 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thumbs up cleaned out the garage today

Well, sorta.

Let's see... trash, trash, wood pile, donate, trash, attic, didn't know this little cooler was out here... hmmm.. it would make a good prechiller for my cold smoker... I can't cut a hole in a good cooler! Ok, cooler to the attic.

Wood pile, trash, donate, more wood scraps, what am I going to do with this left over stryrofoam board insulation? Hmmm... hate to just trash it... How about...

Intake on top, air goes over the cold mass, back under the cold mass and out the computer fan exhaust into the smoker. I still have to conjure up a little box to connect it to the fridge intake.

Obviously no planning to this thing, just a way to use up time and the leftover insulation. The whole thing is double thickness. Just started cutting and taping/gluing my way to a finish of some type. Pretty obvious, huh?

And it works! It was too hot outside by the time I was done to hook up probes to it, but just by feel, the air coming out is definitely cooler than the air temp. I'll play with it more the next time I'm supposed to be doing something I don't feel like doing...

Most importantly, it got me out of cleaning the garage. It was too hot in there anyway...

Man, I've gotta find a job.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Necessity is the mother of invention lazy. I save all sorts of odd bits cause ya never know. Thats the way to use the old noodle.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Pix got me lost, but knowing you, I bet it works.

Are you not concerned about the fan getting a smoke residue build up by drawing the cooled smoke through it, or am I reading this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Pix got me lost, but knowing you, I bet it works.

Are you not concerned about the fan getting a smoke residue build up by drawing the cooled smoke through it, or am I reading this wrong?
    Yeah, I knew the pics weren't great. So much sun reflecting off the foil, I had a heck of a time getting a shot that made sense. And I sunburned the top of my foot while working on it, to boot. Been going barefoot alot lately... I'l try to get better pics before the sun gets too high.

It's a reverse-flow cooler. Air comes in towards the top of one end, flows over the first ice chunk, drops down, reverses direction and flows under the second ice chunk, and back out the same side it came in. I figure if cold air drops, then pulling the air out from under the second ice block should give me the biggest temp drop available. At least that was my thought as I was sticking pieces together. It may not work that way at all, but it makes me feel good to think it will

I'm using it to chill the air prior to entering the smoker. I'll put cold mass (frozen bricks, blue ice, 1/2 gallon jugs of ice, an old boss' heart, whatever) in this box and draw air through it, using the fan to push the now cooled air into the fridge smoker. I have enough scraps of the styro left I can build a li'l bitty box and attach it over the fan. I'll cut a hole in that box that will attach to the 1" intake on the fridge. Somehow. Haven't quite got that detail figured out yet. I'll probably make & attach the box over the fan, and push it up against the intake to get an imprint of the intake pipe. Then slice along the imprint. Or I could just ductape a funnel over it and sick the small end of the funnel into the intake. Who knows?
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    Yeah, I knew the pics weren't great. So much sun reflecting off the foil, I had a heck of a time getting a shot that made sense. And I sunburned the top of my foot while working on it, to boot. Been going barefoot alot lately... I'l try to get better pics before the sun gets too high.

It's a reverse-flow cooler. Air comes in towards the top of one end, flows over the first ice chunk, drops down, reverses direction and flows under the second ice chunk, and back out the same side it came in. I figure if cold air drops, then pulling the air out from under the second ice block should give me the biggest temp drop available. At least that was my thought as I was sticking pieces together. It may not work that way at all, but it makes me feel good to think it will

I'm using it to chill the air prior to entering the smoker. I'll put cold mass (frozen bricks, blue ice, 1/2 gallon jugs of ice, an old boss' heart, whatever) in this box and draw air through it, using the fan to push the now cooled air into the fridge smoker. I have enough scraps of the styro left I can build a li'l bitty box and attach it over the fan. I'll cut a hole in that box that will attach to the 1" intake on the fridge. Somehow. Haven't quite got that detail figured out yet. I'll probably make & attach the box over the fan, and push it up against the intake to get an imprint of the intake pipe. Then slice along the imprint. Or I could just ductape a funnel over it and sick the small end of the funnel into the intake. Who knows?
    Your brain is obviously operating about 10 times faster than mine is capable of this time of evening.

I think I got what you're trying to do...
    You are running your intake air over and under cold masses, then into your fridge. Simple and very innovative idea for cold smoking.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    I think I got what you're trying to do...
    You are running your intake air over and under cold masses, then into your fridge. Simple and very innovative idea for cold smoking.
    Bingo!

But I think my "design" has a big flaw.

I think I need to be using the fan to push the air into the cold box, not pull it out. If the fan is pulling the air out, I'll need a bigger intake to keep the flow balanced, or I'll be pulling a small vacuum in the box. That would not only reduce the amount of air in the box, it will reduce the length of time the air spends in the cooler environment. But if the fan is pushing air into the box, I'll be slightly pressurizing it, increasing the amount of air in the box, and the length of time it is in the cooler environment.

Whether this is true or not is unknown, but it makes sense to me. Also unknown is whether or not it makes a plug-nickel's worth of difference in operation.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

I would think that the fridge intake should be powered as you pull the ait through the cooler...that should regulate the retention time of the air through the cooler.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Default it actually works!

Ran some bacon through today and tried my little pre-chiller. This thing actually works! Originally showed a 10 degree drop between the intake on the cold box and the exhaust of the smoker. That's with using two frozen bricks to supply the cold.

After about 4 1/2 hours, I threw 3 little blu-ice type pouches in along with the bricks.

With it being 107 or thereabouts, there was no way I was going to keep the temp down where I wanted it, so I closed things up and quit for the day. Just for grins, when I removed the cold box from the smoker, I checked the air going into the box and coming out. There was a 30 degree drop between the two. I was amazed. I figured I might get 15-20 degrees max, but I never expected 30. Then again, I had no idea what I was doing, so I guess I just made up those numbers in my mind to justify the time I put into it.

Here's the pics:
    Intake air temp:

Air temp coming out:

I wonder how well it might work if I knew what I was doing?
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker