Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

8 members and 14 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A-Maze-N smoke generator

This is what I used to generate smoke for my bacon attempt.

I used the 6X6 sawdust unit. Todd didn't have the pellet units available when I bought mine.

This thing rocks!! In the little mini-fridge, it only elevated the temp by about 10 degrees.

Here it is filled with Bourbon Barrel & some left over hickory:

The biggest issue is to make sure you don't have the dust spilling over the dividers--the fire may jump rows if you do.

Here it is being lit with the torch Todd sells in his packages. Sucker gets good and hot for such a tiny thing. And by the way, when you pick up the AMNS after lighting, DON"T grab it where you just lit it. I had a perfectly imprinted blister of the AMNS on one of my fingers for about a week because I goofed...:

I'm lighting both ends to get a heavier smoke in a shorter time. You can light it as many times as you want, or put different dust in different rows and light each row for a mix. Lighting one end will get around 8 hours of smoke in the 6X6 uinit, more in the bigger ones. Reduce the expected time by the number of rows you light. DO NOT tamp the dust down like you're filling a pipe. You'll get a longer burn for sure, but it's not a pleasant burn. Gets acrid for some reason.

Here it is setting in the smoker. You can just see a wisp of smoke rising from each end:

If you want to stop smoking before all the dust is used, just use something to scrape the lit dust away from the non-lit. I use a plastic spoon, because it was laying on the counter... I tried smothering it by closing the intake/exhaust like you do a drum, but it didn't work. I assume it's because it needs so little oxygen for the dust to smolder, it takes it quite a while to use up the oxygen in my little fridge.

For you pelletheads, these are now available for use with pellets.

If you have any questions on the units, contact Todd. He's great at returning emails, knows his product and most importantly knows smokers--both the equipment and the users.

Oh yeah-- here's the way the dust comes packaged:

I don't know why somebody like Cabinetmaker couldn't generate his own sawdust. There's different suppliers of dust out there, and they all make a big thing about sanitary conditions when creating the sawdust, only using vegetable oil in the equipment, yadda yadda yadda. I'm thinking the amount of oil from the equipment that's actually picked up by the dust is infinitesimal, sorta like using a zink bolt in a UDS...
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

I've seen those before, just not in person. Very nice write up on the unit. Have you tried to smoke any cheese yet?

Thanks for sharing it with us
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?
    A - Maze - N smoke generator

Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Nice reciew LZ!

What is an AMNS?
    A-Maze-N Smoker...

PC, it's been too hot to try cheese, I think. It has a tendency to melt... It'll cool off sometime before next Easter I hope, and we always have a chunk or two of cheese in the fridge. Or I have a personal Cheese Monger who can hook me up with good choices as long as I'm willing to drive across town to Yuppie Foods.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

That is a pretty cool gizmo if you want to smoke cheese and your worried about a melt down place a pan of ice under the cheese that's how I do it. I have cold smoked cheese in 90 weather with no problems.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    A-Maze-N Smoker...

PC, it's been too hot to try cheese, I think. It has a tendency to melt... It'll cool off sometime before next Easter I hope, and we always have a chunk or two of cheese in the fridge. Or I have a personal Cheese Monger who can hook me up with good choices as long as I'm willing to drive across town to Yuppie Foods.
    I thought of that after I posted.

If you want to smoke some cheese in the heat, you are welcome to borrow my ice chest Smoke Pistol smoker.

Gotta love Whole Foods, best freak show and cheese department in Oklahoma!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    That is a pretty cool gizmo if you want to smoke cheese and your worried about a melt down place a pan of ice under the cheese that's how I do it. I have cold smoked cheese in 90 weather with no problems.
    But it's been over 105 here.

...Gotta love Whole Foods, best freak show and cheese department in Oklahoma!
    And they're all so earnest...

Actually, I better be nice. My oldest works there...
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    And they're all so earnest...

Actually, I better be nice. My oldest works there...
    More like "Ernest"

I'm gonna try to remember that he works there so that I don't put my foot in my mouth...well at least not any more than normal.

He doesn't have a sideshow Bob haircut with wooden beads in it, hoops in his earlobes and a 6" spike through his septum does he?

More like "Ernest"

I'm gonna try to remember that he works there so that I don't put my foot in my mouth...well at least not any more than normal.

He doesn't have a sideshow Bob haircut with wooden beads in it, hoops in his earlobes and a 6" spike through his septum does he?
    My first thought was, "didn't I spell that right?", then it hit me. Yeah, "Ernest" does exist in there, too. Along with LaMar, I think, and the Uneasy Rider, and, and, just pretty much every bit of society in existence... It's quite a show every time I stop in there.

No, she looks pretty normal right now. Had to cut her dreads for her other job. If she's behind the cheese counter you don't notice the tattoo running across her foot and up her ankle... And the guy with the the spike through his septum is actually a pretty nice guy, and does some awesome paintings.... They shared a booth at Blue Dome this year.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast