usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 24

8 members and 16 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Try a product called Agave syrup or Agave nectar. We picked some up on our trip out west. Here is some info I found on it.

The syrup is made from agave plants, which are juiced and filtered so that the resulting liquid is thick and honey-colored. Itís becoming a very popular sugar alternative because not only is it very sweet, but because it has a very low glycemic index. Essentially, this means that it wonít cause your blood sugar to spike like some other high-sugar or high-carbohydrate foods. As far as I know, there arenít any other natural sweeteners with a GI lower than agave syrup. It still has the same number of calories as sugar, though (15 per tsp).

The consistency of agave syrup is somewhere between maple syrup and honey: syrupy, but thin enough that it is very easy to pour. It tastes similar to honey in terms of sweetness and might even be a little bit sweeter. It lacks that signature taste of honey, however, so I would describe it as having a slightly cleaner flavor Ė albeit one with a lot more character than, say, a plain sugar syrup.

Agave syrup can certainly be used in baking, but it cannot be substituted directly for sugar. One problem is that it is sweeter than sugar. Another is that it is a liquid, so it changes the proportions of the recipe. Try starting with a recipe that calls for honey and substitute agave. It will act much the same way, contributing to browning and helping to keep the baked good moist a day or two after baking.
    Custom 55 gal. UDS by Wasson
    Brinkman Deluxe with mods - free to good home
    Little Chief electric - for fish
    Weber Smokey Joe Silver
    Superfast Thermapen RED

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Try a product called Agave syrup or Agave nectar. We picked some up on our trip out west. Here is some info I found on it.

The syrup is made from agave plants, which are juiced and filtered so that the resulting liquid is thick and honey-colored. Itís becoming a very popular sugar alternative because not only is it very sweet, but because it has a very low glycemic index. Essentially, this means that it wonít cause your blood sugar to spike like some other high-sugar or high-carbohydrate foods. As far as I know, there arenít any other natural sweeteners with a GI lower than agave syrup. It still has the same number of calories as sugar, though (15 per tsp).

The consistency of agave syrup is somewhere between maple syrup and honey: syrupy, but thin enough that it is very easy to pour. It tastes similar to honey in terms of sweetness and might even be a little bit sweeter. It lacks that signature taste of honey, however, so I would describe it as having a slightly cleaner flavor Ė albeit one with a lot more character than, say, a plain sugar syrup.

Agave syrup can certainly be used in baking, but it cannot be substituted directly for sugar. One problem is that it is sweeter than sugar. Another is that it is a liquid, so it changes the proportions of the recipe. Try starting with a recipe that calls for honey and substitute agave. It will act much the same way, contributing to browning and helping to keep the baked good moist a day or two after baking.
    I'm familiar with agave nectar and it's a great natural sweetener. I love it in coffee or tea, it would no doubt be great in Q sauce. But when I suggested it to my diabetic brother, he said it was a definite no-no. Even with it's lower GI, he can't have it.

BTW, it's also great in Margaritas!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

It is also great in the foil with your ribs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2