usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 32

11 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tim - Good stuff. I can probably be available, too.

I can pass on what I have heard via my church here as brother of a member is a pastor up there. His church was 2 blocks from the direct path so he has quite a few members in distress. They took 3 truck loads of bottled water up this week.

We have also looked at trying to help their church members in some other way. (a cookout for their congregation and local neighborhood area at some point was brought up) But right now, he (pastor in Joplin) has quite a few relief workers coming in to coordinate.

We decided to delay this idea of a cookout event a couple of weeks for now given the massive clean up, etc still going on.

I will keep yall posted on how it develops...
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

Right now, the biggest problem remains finding a location to set up and cook. do you suppose your church might be able to find us a spot?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Right now, the biggest problem remains finding a location to set up and cook. do you suppose your church might be able to find us a spot?
    I'm bouncing a couple balls on that right now. I'll get back to ya.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I saw on the news a few days ago that they said the best thing to do to help was not to come to joplin just now. It would just add to the confusion.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

I've got a couple of cases of gallon sized beans, and can bring tables and coolers. There are currently several BBQ teams set up all along 20th Street. Facebook has a Operation BBQ For Joplin Relief page set up telling about what is going on there. I am working on securing a big offset smoker, but not definate yet.
    Stump's Stretch
    Ugly Drum Smoker
    Chargriller Smokin Outlaw
    Shoal Creek Fire BBQ Team

Curt is right about the volunteers. There is more people there than they know what to do with. Mostly on the weekends, so I would think that if we're gonna do anything, it would be better during the week. Just let me know.
    Stump's Stretch
    Ugly Drum Smoker
    Chargriller Smokin Outlaw
    Shoal Creek Fire BBQ Team

Quote Originally Posted by chadd17 View Post
    Curt is right about the volunteers. There is more people there than they know what to do with. Mostly on the weekends, so I would think that if we're gonna do anything, it would be better during the week. Just let me know.
    We heard this through our church as well. I will work on a location through that contact as well.
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

I have been in touch with Operations BBQ. They are sending out emails saying not to come and not to bring supplies. they are also saying that they are being told to move hteir locations and to scale things down. Evidently, now that the boil order has been lifted, the local restaurants are opening back up and they are not wanting any competition.

I am beginning to think that perhaps this is a good idea, but about a week too late to be of any real help.

I will keep my ear to the ground and would appreciate it if the rest of you will do the same.

I really don't want to make a big effort to throw this together and then get there and be told to go home.

SmokebyKel is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket SmokebyKel is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I am late in getting in on this but if it does happen count me and my pit in. I'm currently out of town but will be back in StL tomorrow morning.

I'll call you tomorrow Tim.

I should be around most of the day.

I am really starting to think we should abandon the idea of going up there to cook. I heard on the radio that they were asking folks to stay home.

You are bringing you pit ot the get together at Grand aren't you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast