usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 20

3 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Posts: 157,535
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    24

    Default Cooking with my Peka

    I doubt that you can buy a Peka in the US so like in the UK you will have to make one.
    I cut in half a small aluminium beer barrel, you then need a deep sided heavy duty roasting tin to fit inside.
    Method, make a fire on a hard flat surface with big chunks of hard wood, wait till the fire has burned down to good embers, then place your roasting tin filled with the ingredients you wish to pekarise next to the embers cover with your home made Peka then hoe and shovel the embers around and on top of the Peka, throw some more wood on the original fire so you have a continuous supply of embers. Pull up a chair and a 36 pack and use your hoe from the seated position.
    My favorite is shoulder of lamb which takes about 4hrs at woodmark 3, the skill is that you want to slow cook the meat so skilled use of your hoe is essential as to vigorous hoeing will create to much heat and burn your meat.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Sounds very similar to what we call, "dutch oven cooking".
    How about some pics?
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post

    Looks kinda like upside down Euro dutch oven cooking to me.

    I wonder if you could just use an upside down DO. I don't imagine it would be too difficult to fashion some sort of ring to go around it either for that matter.

    Thanx for the thread Bolas!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruskin, FL
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    That's kinda cool...looks like an ancient form of Dutch Oven cooking. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pattison, TX
    Posts
    6,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
    I doubt that you can buy a Peka in the US so like in the UK you will have to make one.
    I cut in half a small aluminium beer barrel, you then need a deep sided heavy duty roasting tin to fit inside.
    Method, make a fire on a hard flat surface with big chunks of hard wood, wait till the fire has burned down to good embers, then place your roasting tin filled with the ingredients you wish to pekarise next to the embers cover with your home made Peka then hoe and shovel the embers around and on top of the Peka, throw some more wood on the original fire so you have a continuous supply of embers. Pull up a chair and a 36 pack and use your hoe from the seated position.
    My favorite is shoulder of lamb which takes about 4hrs at woodmark 3, the skill is that you want to slow cook the meat so skilled use of your hoe is essential as to vigorous hoeing will create to much heat and burn your meat.
    So you need hard wood? Does the hoe makes your pekarise?
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas Hill country
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    So you need hard wood? Does the hoe makes your pekarise?
    And I thought I was hard core That has to hurt at least a little
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    *
    *
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    So you need hard wood? Does the hoe makes your pekarise?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of Peculiar, MO
    Posts
    6,735

    Default

    Bolas, please post some pictures of your peka. Sounds interesting.
    And some pics of what you cook in it would be great also. We like to ogle good grub.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

    TQJ Plankowner

    "Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    So you need hard wood? Does the hoe makes your pekarise?
    Bravo you got it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    Bolas, please post some pictures of your peka. Sounds interesting.
    And some pics of what you cook in it would be great also. We like to ogle good grub.
    I will try to master the picture posting technique today mate. I too like food ****o. The video that was posted is a good basic explanation.
    My father in law is from a mountainous region of Croatia where they still use a lot of game like wild boar( which are at epidemic proportions and deer) in the Peka, higher up in the delnice national park there is a state owned hotel that is allowed to cull bear, their bear salami is fantastic and the hunters mixed grill of bear sausage, venison sausage, bear steak, wild boar sausage, steak and ribs is fantastic.They also slow cook boar butt in the peka.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cooking for my sister in law
    By killswitch505 in forum Beef
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM
  2. What is he cooking?
    By Fatback Joe in forum The Pickle Barrel
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
  3. Cooking with a UDS
    By icepickjazz in forum Vertical Drum Smokers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
  4. Cooking with pine?
    By Just J in forum Open Fire Cooking
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
  5. Cooking a pig tonight
    By jminion in forum Pork
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1