Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

7 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tri-tip on my new rotis

I've always grilled my tri-tips in the traditional manner but this time decided to do it on my new rotisserie which I got over the weekend. I was extremely pleased with the result, with this tri-tip being among the best I've done. I threw in a chunk of red oak for smoke. Having never owned a rotisserie I'm hooked!

Very nice.
    Jim

Great picture! Bet it was top notch eating. We'll be waiting for more rotis pics from ya soon
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Looks great!!! I think my next tri tip will be on the rotisserie.

I really like my rotisserie. It makes some great chicken!!!!
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

[QUOTE=Carbon;109809]I've always grilled my tri-tips in the traditional manner but this time decided to do it on my new rotisserie which I got over the weekend. I was extremely pleased with the result, with this tri-tip being among the best I've done. I threw in a chunk of red oak for smoke. Having never owned a rotisserie I'm hooked!

Looks great, and yes, rotisserie cooking is addictive.

Now, if we could just get you using some decent charcoal.

I love to spin the treats!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I'm loving it and will be doing spareribs on it this evening.
    Also, I'll be experimenting a little by placing a circular basket of charcoal directly on the vent fins instead of on the charcoal grate. The vent will still be operable even with that additional weight sitting on top. Just trying to further lower the charcoal below the grate and hopefully for a longer, slower, and lower temp burn. I'll also stuff rope gasket around the perimeter of the rotiss ring to make it a bit more air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Now, if we could just get you using some decent charcoal.
    LOL.....I still have several twin-bags of Kingsford blue from last summer which I picked from the Home Depot sale. Once these run out I'll switch to Stubbs which I picked up at Lowes a couple of weeks ago on sale at 1/2 price. I picked up enough of them to last me til the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I'm loving it and will be doing spareribs on it this evening.
    Also, I'll be experimenting a little by placing a circular basket of charcoal directly on the vent fins instead of on the charcoal grate. The vent will still be operable even with that additional weight sitting on top. Just trying to further lower the charcoal below the grate and hopefully for a longer, slower, and lower temp burn. I'll also stuff rope gasket around the perimeter of the rotiss ring to make it a bit more air tight.

LOL.....I still have several twin-bags of Kingsford blue from last summer which I picked from the Home Depot sale. Once these run out I'll switch to Stubbs which I picked up at Lowes a couple of weeks ago on sale at 1/2 price. I picked up enough of them to last me til the end of the year.

Will you light your charcoal using the Minion Method? That would help keep your temp. lower, cook longer and consume less fuel.

Also for spinning ribs you might want to consider one of these:

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...ht=rib-o-lator

or these:

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...ht=rib-o-lator

I doubt either would be good for full spares, but maybe St. Lou's and definitely Baby Backs.

Anyway have fun and share!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

Did a tri tip this evening using the rotisserie using some hickory, didn't have any red oak chunked up. One of the best roasts I have done too and my Wife agreed. I think doing them on the rotisserie is going to be my new norm. No pics, was too lazy to break out the camera.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    Will you light your charcoal using the Minion Method? That would help keep your temp. lower, cook longer and consume less fuel.
    Yes, I've been using the Minion Method all along in the kettle. Last night's rib cook came out fine, with a clay saucer placed below the ribs. I was able to hold just under 300 for about 4 hrs with a single chimney-full of briquettes.

I've seen your Ribolator and the expanded metal setup before.....very nice. I might get the Ribolator somewhere down the line. I used a rotiss basket to hold a single slab. I definitely could use a contraption to hold more slabs. )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast