Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

3 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Started my garden last week

Got some tomatos, jalapenos, corn, cucumbers and beans planted last week, I will try to get some pics of my garden to post.

Last year I planted 100' of corn and I had maybe a dozen plants come up, damn gophers ate the rest of the seed I think, I am having a hell of a time with them moles, and voles in my yard and garden.

Anyone know where I can get some tomatillo plants? I love salsa verde and would love to have some in my garden
    Cheers, Mike
    Southern Style Cooker, 2-Hasty Bake's, Webber 22" one touch silver, UDS

I started mine about a month ago. I planted some tomatoes, jalapenoes, red and green peppers. cucumbers and zukes. A few of my tomatoe plants have flowers on them already.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

I'm a rookie, my rookie season. Glad to see you guys talk'n bout it. So far I've f-ed up a couple things, but oh well.

I've got peas, carrots, walla walla onions, bunch onions, garlic, coriander, chives, potatoes, sweet corn, just got my hot pepper mix, roma tomatoes, heirlom tomatoes, sweet baby mini tomatoes, then I have watermelon, canteloupe, and pumpkins come'n. Forgot italian basil.

Chances of actually doing good.............

I'm do this for another chore for the kids to do.

BTW, if you want sweet corn, come on by late July early August. We are going to plant 16 rows(30" spacing), 30k pop for a qtr mile(we hope).

Do you guys plant pumpkins in row w/the corn to eliminate weeds? I've heard it works. Just curious.

BTW, my dumb a$$ is start'n the tomatoes by seed. Just put them in a planter in the office here the other day.

Make fun, cause i've done just about everything wrong so far.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Here are a few pics of my garden, I took these a couple of weeks ago so you cant see much in it yet, It is about 40' x 60', I went saturday and got some verde tomatillos, yellow tomatillos, ground cherries and some more pepper plants from the tomato mans daughter, didnt get a chance to plant them yet beacuse of the rain, I think I would sink to my knees if I tried to get in there right now.

My corn is coming up nicely now, guess the gophers didnt eat all my seed this year like they did last year, now if I can keep them from eating my plants. Someone told me to get some baby food jars and poke holes in the lids and burry them with paper towels soaked in caster oil in them and that will keep them away, guess it's worth a try

Thanks for looking!
    Cheers, Mike

Default Gophers and Moles

My father had a problem with gophers and/or moles once and he got some little devices that looked like a pinwheel on a stick; like a kids toy. You buried the stick in the ground and as the wind turned the pin wheel, it made a clicking sound that the moles and gopher did not like and they left. Maybe you could buy them at Atwoods or a farm store, or even ebay. There are also solar powered spikes that do the same thing with noise. The whirlygigs are more fun, but I haven't seen one in years.

Good luck.

I'd just like to keep those d#@n squirells away from my tomatoes.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
    I'd just like to keep those d#@n squirells away from my tomatoes.
    Thats what this is for, the cat does a pretty good job too but my aussie is a squirell chasing SOB

Cheers, Mike

Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin99 View Post
    looks like that thing would blow the gophers, moles and voles right out of the ground along with my peppers, tomatos and anything else I have planted
    Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    BTW, my dumb a$$ is start'n the tomatoes by seed. Just put them in a planter in the office here the other day.

Make fun, cause i've done just about everything wrong so far.

Those maters are gonna be way late Jason. You need to be putting out plants in about a week.

If you want to control weeds in the corn, cultivate it when the corn gets about knee high. the corn will like it A LOT, it will get rid of existing weeds, and the corn will shade out most weeds that try to sprout after that.

What variety did you plant?

We put out 2 dozen heirloom mater plants last week, and have 4 more to plant along with peppers. We planted what was supposed to be burpless cukes, but they are looking more like squash plants now. We have half a dozen brussels sprouts out as well ( fun to grow)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast