usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

6 members and 11 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Fryer modifications (at YOUR own risk)

TXsandman asked that I post my fryer mods; delete if felt inappropriate!

I bought an outdoor gourmet 11 piece turkey fryer at Academy a couple of weeks ago. I was horrified of all the safety equipment it had on it. It had a thermocouple that someone would shut off the gas if the flame went out as well as a 20 minute timer that would also shut off the flame if you let the 20 minutes expire. All good intentions I'm sure but I couldn't get the darn thing to stay lit.

My little mind went to work. I unscrewed the hose from the front of the timer/thermocouple and tried to screw it directly into the burner. No luck, wrong size. I had the male end replaced with the right size threads. No luck again, flame was all yellow due to too much gas getting to burner.

It hit me, I had to somehow "disable" the safety features of the safety device but still use the part of it that controlled the gas flow to the burner. Basically I took apart the timer box and removed the timer and thermocouple. There was a plunger type valve that automatically shut off the gas to the burner if the right conditions weren't met. I removed the plunger making the gas flow whenever it was turned on. Now with the timer and thermocouple removed, original fittings put back on the hose and the correct "gas orifice" back in place it works perfectly.

I could have bought a burner set up by itself but with all the accessories that came with this thing it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Here are a couple of pics of the fryer, before and after. Notice the timer device in the first picture. The burner actually screws into the back of the timer. Keep this in mind when you look at the modded fryer and see the brass colored piece between the fryer hose and the burner. Basically this is the inside of the timer/thermocouple box with everything removed except what is absolutely essential.

Remember, I did this on my own and do not recommend anyone else do this. It is just something that worked for me that I was asked to share. I believe it is safe and would not be operating the fryer if I didn't think it was safe.
    Attached Images
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

Thank you gt. While this modification works, it is strongly recommended that safety devices not be worked around. This article is for informational purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    TXsandman asked that I post my fryer mods; delete if felt inappropriate!
    Remember, I did this on my own and do not recommend anyone else do this.
    Thanks for posting the information, and thanks for the disclaimer, too. While I can't recommend disabling safety devices, I appreciate the info on how they work. This way, if someone has problems with their fryer, we have more ideas on where a problem might be.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Thanks guys for the disclaimers. Really, all I have done is make it into any of the "original" style fryers. All of those that I see connect the hose directly to the burner with the use of a "gas orifice" to regulate gas flow.

Safety makes things so complicated!!!!(kidding for you sticks in the mud, hehehe)
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

I fired up my fryer the other day after you had problems with yours. I still go it fired up nicely. I did the hose wiggle thing and no problems.
    I think you got a bad device and should have returned it and swapped it out..
    As with everything, Sometimes you get a lemon.

The safety features are there (mostly) for Turkey frying.
    The Turkey frying process is extremely dangerous.

Just be careful and never leave it unattended!.

Good job though.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy