usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 39

7 members and 32 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Concrete table

Default Concrete table

Just thought I would share some pics of a project I did this fall, a friend of ours had a concrete table and I always liked it so I decided to give a try at building one, I love it because it is indestructible! (with 4 kids that's a big plus)

My plan in the next couple of years is to build a outdoor kitchen so this was also kind of a experiment into what I want to do for the outdoor countertops. I am going to do some small scale trials with some crushed glass in the mix and see what color or color combinations I want to put in my outdoor countertops, I didnt put any glass in the table top but I have seen pics with glass in it and it looks really good.

I built the mold out of melamine and didnt have to use any release agent in it, it poped out pretty easy, the nice thing about the melamine it it gave me a pretty smooth surface to start with when I took it out of the mold so I didnt have to do too much sanding.

I used 6- 80# bags of concrete to build this, thats 480#, it is HEAVY, I reinforced it with remesh. Depending on how you pack your mold you can get different effects, I wanted small holes in it so i packed it pretty tight, some people pack it looser to get more of the vein effect and some actually vibrate the concrete to get a completly smooth effect, it's all what you like, I did several small 1'X1' test molds to see what I liked first.

Once I took it out of the mold I smoothed it out with a orbital sander starting with 80 grit paper and working down to 320 then put 2 coats of concrete sealer on it.

Hope you enjoy the pics

The mold I built out of melamine

Hand packed the concrete in the mold then screted it off

Unmolded and turned over

The finished product

Thanks for looking
    Cheers, Mike
    Southern Style Cooker, 2-Hasty Bake's, Webber 22" one touch silver, UDS

I'd like to see that in person. What did you do for structure of the table. Had to be pretty stout framework and legs.

Hey Mike,
    I love that table and I agree it would have to be virtually indestructable. The only trouble I can see is that if you to move it. And by the way, what kind of legs/support arrangement did you use?
    Florida Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Bill View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I love that table and I agree it would have to be virtually indestructable. The only trouble I can see is that if you to move it. And by the way, what kind of legs/support arrangement did you use?
    that was my question

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    I'd like to see that in person. What did you do for structure of the table. Had to be pretty stout framework and legs.
    I actually used the framework from a oak table that I already had ( bought at the unfinished oak store when it was still in business) but it is just a basic table like they sell everywhere, I just took the top off and put the concrete on top of it, I was a little worried if it would support it but it seems fine. I thought I may have to beef it up but is is stout.

If you ever want to see it Tim just let me know, you are welcome to come check it out.
    Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trucknstuffmike View Post
    If you ever want to see it Tim just let me know, you are welcome to come check it out.
    I even still have the mold if you want to try building one
    Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trucknstuffmike View Post
    I actually used the framework from a oak table that I already had ( bought at the unfinished oak store when it was still in business) but it is just a basic table like they sell everywhere, I just took the top off and put the concrete on top of it, I was a little worried if it would support it but it seems fine. I thought I may have to beef it up but is is stout.

What did you do to fasten the top to it?

What did you do to fasten the top to it?
    I actally just set the top on, I planed on fastening it with anchors but it is so heavy it isnt going anywhere!

One more thing I forgot to mention is if you plan on building one rent a concrete mixer, it is money well spent and it speeds up the process being able to mix several bags at once and saves your back!
    Cheers, Mike

that was my question
    Sorry about that Tim. Looks like our replies were going in at the same time. You're coming right along .... you're beginning to think like me. Stay with me man, I'll get you over the rough spots.
    Florida Bill

Super cool project Mike! You're gonna have to sell it with the house though. Haha hope your house don't settle to one side
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast