usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 103

3 members and 100 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, Yesterday at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default OK, so I've been holding out

A few months ago, the good folks at Backwoods sent me a prototype of their upcoming charcoal grill. I didn't post anything about it because they wanted to keep it under wraps until they finalized all the particulars.

The idea was for me to find all the faults with it that I could and do me best to destroy it so that they could make alterations to the design if necessary.

Other than the fact that it's a heavy SOB, I could find not faults with it and so far, it appears to be indestructible.

Here are a few pix that I shot the other night while firing it up to grill a couple steaks. Please forgive me for not taking the time to clean it up, but I was running late.

It sits up a good deal higher than most grills which is fine with me. I like being able to see what I'm cooking well without bending over

A close up of the Pit Bull Emblem

Of course, the obligatory Tel Tru thermo

This pull handle regulates air intake from the middle of the bottom of the unit

There is a large daisy wheel on either side of the hood

The front panel opens and the fire grate slides out for easy lighting. after firing up the grate hokks on a stair step series of 4 hooks to adjust the height of the fire. This makes for super heat control while cooking over direct or indirect heat.

And the grate itself is made of very heavy woven wire designed to never burn out. You can also see (I think) the stainless ash catch pan for easy removal of ash. It moves with the fire grate and can also be slid out by itself.

The stand comes with two heavy gauge stainless shelves, but I have only attached one as yet

There are three cooking grates on this model. They are made of high test stainless and have a lip on either end to prevent food from sliding off when turning, and no, that is not rust, I just hadn't brushed them when I took the pic.

There are three sizes, the Chicken Little, the Pit Bull, and the Boss Hog. This is the middle sized one. The largest, or Boss Hog is a whopping 18"x35"

All in all, it is a great grill. I think that what I like the best is the height along with the ease of airflow control. You will not get a charcoal grill with better airflow control. This grill will smother left over charcoal faster than a Weber kettle.

I also like the ease of fire height adjustment and the ease of ash disposal.

so far, I have cooked fish, steaks, burgers, BB ribs, chicken, cabbage and other veggies on it with ease and with no problems at all.

Good job the design Mike and Chase!

Hopee all enjoyed the review.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 02-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Nice review Tim. Looks to be a very solid unit. Now that you're done playing with it, you can just set it to the side and I'll be down to pick it up when the snow quits shoot I'll even put the other shelf on.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I'll send you a Pay Pal invoice.

nice rig! I can't believe the Smokette let you put another device on that deck!
    Glen
    Large Charcoal Vertical & UDS
    Blue Thermopen
    www.coltecconsulting.com

She likes free stuff too.

I like free stuff too. No need for a PP receipt for freebies. I'll just stop by and pick it up
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Looks like a nice grill!!!
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

nice lookin unit!!

Another weapon, cant have enough!!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Very cool.
    FBJ

Since they are sitting Side by Side How dose it compare with the Hasty Bake? How thick is the metal?
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast