Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 30

9 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Where's this joint at?

I've heard of Smoking Guns BBQ but didn't realize we had one in KC. Good BBQ seems to be getting rare in KC. I may just be getting harder to please, but either way there are very few places I'll go to still.
    Chad

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character." T.R.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

BDS-Jumbo Model 2743

WSM- Weber Smokey Mountain w/ mods

Weber Performer

GOSM Big Block 36" gasser

Quote Originally Posted by jms 312 View Post
    Iím surprised you had such a bad experience at Smokiní Guns, my coworkers and I go at least twice a month and we love it!
    The cozy atmosphere when I first walked in made me feel like I was going to a BBQ at a friendís house, and I could not believe all the awards and ribbons on the walls. . I always get the burnt end plate with potato casserole and it hasnít failed me yet. The meat is always hot, juicy, and moist, and the potato casserole is the best Iíve ever had. Iíve never had a problem there but if I did Iím sure the friendly and courteous staff would do whatever it takes to make it right.
    I have been eating KC BBQ all my life, and Smokiní Guns is hands down the best BBQ Iíve ever had. I sincerely hope that you will give them another try.
    Welcome to The Joint Jms. when you get a chance, why don;t you stop by the "C'mon in and Sit Down" forum and give yourself a proper intro.

What you described is just about the opposite of what we got. The only moisture in the birnt ends was the sauce, and it was pretty well dried up too.

The staff, while not discourteous, was less than friendly, and we all kinda felt like we were troubling them with our requests.

I did enjoy the retro knotty pine decor though.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
    Where's this joint at?

I've heard of Smoking Guns BBQ but didn't realize we had one in KC. Good BBQ seems to be getting rare in KC. I may just be getting harder to please, but either way there are very few places I'll go to still.

Well, good to see you here Chad!

Here they are

1218 Swift Avenue
    Kansas City, MO 64116
    (816) 221-2535

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post

Well, good to see you here Chad!

Here they are

1218 Swift Avenue
    Kansas City, MO 64116
    (816) 221-2535
    Oh, I'm around Tim. In fact, you just never know where I may be or what I may be doing.

Thanks for the info. I did notice on Google maps link you included the place does have a 4 of 5 star rating from 35 reviews. Maybe you did hit it on a bad day. I'm not worried. I'm just gonna go in for lunch next week and tell them I'm you and Phil said I could try it out again for free.
    Chad

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character." T.R.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

BDS-Jumbo Model 2743

WSM- Weber Smokey Mountain w/ mods

Weber Performer

GOSM Big Block 36" gasser

Oh, I'm around Tim. In fact, you just never know where I may be or what I may be doing.
    Hay bud, good to see ya man!!!

Looks like ya may have hit em on an off day, and I can say Q joints do have their off days as it aint your typical burger joint and alot harder to serve the same product day in and day out.

I use their rub all the time and love it.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Thanks for the info. I did notice on Google maps link you included the place does have a 4 of 5 star rating from 35 reviews. Maybe you did hit it on a bad day. I'm not worried. I'm just gonna go in for lunch next week and tell them I'm you and Phil said I could try it out again for free.
    OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Hay bud, good to see ya man!!!

Looks like ya may have hit em on an off day, and I can say Q joints do have their off days as it aint your typical burger joint and alot harder to serve the same product day in and day out.

I use their rub all the time and love it.
    These ends were so bad that even a new teenaged kid coulda seen it. They never shoulda seen a plate, and when something was said about it, somebody should have done something, or at least offered to. Really no excuse.

Quality control is one of the most important factors in food service. Good QC would not have let that stuff out of the kitchen. There are several Q joints in KC that would not have. I'm just sayin'.

First impressions are very important, you get ONE shot.
    My first time at Smokin' Guns didn't make me want to rush back for more.
    And I won't.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Smokin' Guns has torn down the old adjoining building next door and will build a new addition, two story with a rooftop "deck" offering a view of downtown KC.
    Big woop. Same cooked elsewhere and reheated que.
    A lot of people think this place has good que. Not many good que addicts running around out there.
    Last edited by peculiarmike; 02-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.

TQJ Plankowner

- John Wayne

Maybe they are going to change their ways.

We all know that Phil is a very good cook. It's just a shame that what he serves isn't in line with his abilities when it comes to his restaurant.

There is a BIG difference between running a 1st. class joint like OK Joe's in BA versus taking the easy way out by cooking someplace else and reheating just before serving. They shoulda added on a kitchen and brick pit.

TQJ Plankowner

- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    There is a BIG difference between running a 1st. class joint like OK Joe's in BA versus taking the easy way out by cooking someplace else and reheating just before serving. They shoulda added on a kitchen and brick pit.
    No contest on that thought, but in all fairness, not everybody can muster 1.5 million to open a Q joint.

And, I say that knowing that you know my sentiments of Phil's operation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast