Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 38

6 members and 32 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SmokebyKel is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket SmokebyKel is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the making of a nice build. What made you decide to go with a reverse flow? I know many here have them but wondered how you decided which way to go. Just wondering.

glenn

Hi Glenn,

I decided for reverse flow, for they are said to have very even temperatures and are easier to control then the standard ones. Besides I like the idea of making the rf-plate in a shape that I can fill water, apple juice or beer inside if I want to.
    Have been reading lots in forums and rf seems to be the better design.

Hope I'm not wrong.

Cheers
    Peter

There are pluses and minuses to any design. You should become versed in each and decide which are more important to you.

Ask the reverse flow owners what they don't like about their units and ask the direct flow owners what they don't like.

Personally, I think a bottom feed, center end stack design with the grates above the stack level is the best for even cooking.

The Jambos are designed to cook right in the direct heat stream. They are also designed for maximum flow control. this results in extreme fuel efficiency as well as precise temp control.

The reverse flow cookers derive most of their even temp control by dissipating a high percentage of their heat before it arrives at the cooking grate. While this results in even temps, it really doesn't do much for fuel efficiency.

There really is no right or wrong, there is only what suits your desires and needs best.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Peter View Post
    Hope I'm not wrong.
    Peter, Tim is correct. The problem with building is you never get everything you want and once you get started you will find the ideas are endless.

My current pit is the 5th one I built. I built 4 UDS this last summer and kept only one. I currently have 4 cookers. I will probably go back and rebuild number 3 this winter.

I have orders for 2 more UDS. I also have finished plans drawn for 4 more.

So jump in the waters fine!
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

SmokebyKel is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket SmokebyKel is an unknown quantity at this point

Peter, Tim said it all.
    I purchased my pit last year. I was really going back and forth between direct and RF. What ultimately was the decision maker for me, was that I could control the temps from one end of the pit to the other. I like being able to have a delta of 25 to 30 degrees from one end to the other or if I want even temp throughout I have that as well. It's my choice. I just adjust the tuning plates to my preference. That's just me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3