usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 29

7 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Robby, the smoker in my signature has an internal firebox and has a hot area above the box. My question is are you going to put a top on your firebox and cut out one side with the curve of the tank. By extending the top of the firebox to the opposite end from your reverse flow plate opening you would cause the smoke/heat to make an "S" pattern in the flow and hopefully help you keep a more even temp accross your cooking area.I'm just thinking that one 1/4" plate will not defuse the heat enough and it will have a hot spot. My barrel is a 300 gal. and my firebox is only about 15" wide and I can move my items being cooked around enough to get them away from the hot spot. I will find the link to my smoker thread and post it here for you. Just my .

Here's the link:http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...-pics-of-Buela
    Last edited by Short One; 12-14-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add link
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

The plan is to have no top on the fire box. The reverse flow (reflector plate (1/4" Steel) should be about 8" above the top of my fire box basket. and approx. 30" from the bottom of my fire box. The plate will also be only 2" larger that my box, so the whole thing should be a hot spot (I hope) or at least be even. I sill need to cut the sides of the fire box off that sticks beyond the bottom radius of mr smoke tank. Do you think this design will still cause me problems. The other thing is I live in CA and good smoking wood is not cheap here. I will probably be using coal with some wood mixed in.

Where are the firebox and stack going to go? Is htat going to tbe the firebox under the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby58 View Post
    The plan is to have no top on the fire box. The reverse flow (reflector plate (1/4" Steel) should be about 8" above the top of my fire box basket. and approx. 30" from the bottom of my fire box. The plate will also be only 2" larger that my box, so the whole thing should be a hot spot (I hope) or at least be even. I sill need to cut the sides of the fire box off that sticks beyond the bottom radius of mr smoke tank. Do you think this design will still cause me problems. The other thing is I live in CA and good smoking wood is not cheap here. I will probably be using coal with some wood mixed in.
    If you have an internal firebox in the middle of the unit, how do you intend to make the flow reverse with just one plate?

Reverse flow would be fire/heat entering one end of the unit, making two passes, then exiting the stack at the same end as the fire box.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Where are the firebox and stack going to go? Is htat going to tbe the firebox under the tank?
    Tim, that's my thoughts from what I see in the pics.

Robby, the bottom of your firebox is probably twice as fare from your reverse flow plate as mine is my grate. Mine is 15" max from my grates with the top of the firebox only about 4" from my grate. You may be ok with 30+". It should be easy to regulate the heat if it is anything like mine.
    Steve

1-UDS

I'm still confused as to the reverse flow aspect of it. Hopefully you will continue to post pix as it comes along.

I believe that IF it were me doing the build that I would still have a fear of a hot spot. If the "reflector plate" is welded in solid on the front, back, and one end, I would probably tack it in after I get the firebox, door, and stack done and make a test burn before I put it in solid and check my temps around the grate area. That way if you need to modify something around the top of the firebox to spread the heat out, it won't be as hard to get to to modify.
    Steve

1-UDS

As far as the reverse flow, the fire box is slightly offset to the left, the opening of the plate will be to the right, and the smoke stack will be to the far left. After doing research, it looked like I would have a hard time maintaing heat in the that diameter chamber if the fire box was offset in the traditional manner while burning coal. by placing the fire box underneath i should get more conducted heat to the reflector plate. Here are some more pics from tonights work. I forgot to get a picture of the base,but I used some 3" Square tubing. placed under the firebox in line with the smoke chamber, and just welded them to the bottom of the box. No legs needed. Please keep up the suggestions.

I agree short one there might be a hot spot, but since the fire box is only 2" shorter than my grates I will build, I am hopping there will not be one.

IMG_0267.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_0268.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0271.jpg

Sorry, I don't see the reverse flow aspect of this build.
    This looks more like a set-up that would be used on an insulated vertical smoker. This is the type of a similar set-up is used on Spicewines and Vaults ( just examples of this type of smokers with that set-up ).
    Jim

If you have a hot spot over the fire you can always add a water pan as a heat sink.

You talk about cooking with coal. Are you taking about charcoal or Coal?

How do you plan to handle the grease?
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast