» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 39

0 members and 39 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SmokyOkie Guest

Well how was it?

I didn't mean to question your judgment as to the temps. I just realized that I really didn't know the answers and thought maybe you did.

I have eaten cured sausages that were never refrigerated and they were very safe (and very good too), but then, I have also seen cured meats go bad even under refrigeration. I wondered if there were a rule to follow.

I know that one of the primary function of salt preservatives is to dehydrate the meat and that the lower moisture levels prevents bacterial growth, but that is about all I know.

Perhaps someone else does know.

It was Great, really meaty bacon with very little grease left in the pan. We were contemplating adding a little grease to help it cook, but after turning the heat up a little, it really took off. Great tasting bacon with a hint of apple and a slight sweetness from the Brown Sugar.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Well how was it?

I didn't mean to question your judgment as to the temps. I just realized that I really didn't know the answers and thought maybe you did.

I have eaten cured sausages that were never refrigerated and they were very safe (and very good too), but then, I have also seen cured meats go bad even under refrigeration. I wondered if there were a rule to follow.

I know that one of the primary function of salt preservatives is to dehydrate the meat and that the lower moisture levels prevents bacterial growth, but that is about all I know.

Perhaps someone else does know.
    Nitrates(and nitrites) are added to cured meats to retard the growth of pathogenic bacteria during the curing process, where meat may sit in the 40-140*F danger zone for more than 4 hours. That alone does not make the meat shelf stable. The active water(Aw), and sometimes pH in the process needs to be reduced as well. Basically, you tie up the remaining water inside a cured product with salt or sugar, and it is unable to support the growth of molds, bacteria, etc. Kinda like "mummification". Should storage conditions of the meat offer up a moist environment, it is very possible that a cured product will eventually grow mold and bacteria on the casing, and eventually internally as well. Once you see the mold with your naked eye, it usually has already spread further than the visual colony you see. Some cured meats actually use bacteria and mold to preserve the meats by introducing a competing organism that "shields" the meat from harmful species of molds and bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    It was Great, really meaty bacon with very little grease left in the pan. We were contemplating adding a little grease to help it cook, but after turning the heat up a little, it really took off. Great tasting bacon with a hint of apple and a slight sweetness from the Brown Sugar.
    I have always had better luck baking sugar cured bacon, than frying it. It seems like the sugars tend to carmelize or burn before the bacon gets to the crispness I like.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

SmokyOkie Guest

So then how is it that you can keep country ham unrefrigerated for months with just a salt and sugar cure?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    So then how is it that you can keep country ham unrefrigerated for months with just a salt and sugar cure?
    Its made from a whole muscle, which is considered "sterile" inside, similar to the way that you can have a rare steak, and not worry about getting sick because hopefully, the heat of the cooking process has rendered lifeless all the organisms on the surface of the steak. With country ham, its kind of the same deal, salt and sugar applied to the outer surfaces, and rubbed into the nooks and crannies, render the outer areas and surfaces inhospitable to bacterial growth, while also reducing the Aw inside the ham, and dehydrating it, by replacing most of the water inside the ham with salt, until an osmotic balance is achieved that doesn't favor growth of pathogens. And the ham is further air dried and some are smoked. You cant really do that with most sausages because they are made from comminuted, or ground meat, which is not "sterile" on the surface, and will introduce organisms inside of the casing.

Side note: One thing that tends to cause issues though, is some of the meats now are "enhanced" or injected with all sorts of things, and the injectors can introduce pathogens into the interior of the meat. I wouldn't eat a steak from Walmart anything less than 165*(if for some godforsaken reason I had to eat Walmart steak) Same deal with injection at home, or in comps. Just something to keep in mind.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

RATS!!! I wanted to see it finished!

Tell that kid to git his own camera. Or maybe Santa could help a bit.

I still want to see it.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2