usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

6 members and 22 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Just to let ya know I got a call on a barrel. My first day off. Going to take a nap then go look at it. Hey, its a start. LOl Lil by lil....

Slow and steady wins the race.

Am a lil better. Got the drum burnt out. Had to call a friend that happens to be the fire marshall ( and a competitive smoker) and ask to burn out the barrel in town. Starting on the brackets in the am. Nothing fancy. Just trying to get her going. Have to go plow out some driveways in the country in the am so it will have to wait a lil. And I am limited on home tools so my jig saw is going to be my best friend for a while. Slow going but it will "get it done!" Stay warm and happy smoking. L8tr and goodinght ya'all. Rocco

Default Finishing the wood....?

I have some pime board that I am going to be using for the side shelves. I just want to know if I can use a poly on them with the heat? They are cut to be spaced an inch from the barrel. When I get back today that is what I am starting on.

Quote Originally Posted by roc2it View Post
    I have some pime board that I am going to be using for the side shelves. I just want to know if I can use a poly on them with the heat? They are cut to be spaced an inch from the barrel. When I get back today that is what I am starting on.
    Should be fine...it won't get that hot at the top.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Default Well, good day!

After getting rolling I got a lot done today. Dont think that I am going to get to work on it again until Wed. Got the brackets cut and the wood is getting finished thanks to your quick answers. Wire wheeling the inside of the barrel is going to be tough. But first I have to get the oustside done. What wheel set up did you guys use. Just looking for suggestions on that. Mine is going to be like a 2 wheel cart I believe. Not sure yet though. Let me hear ya...
    Link to new photos and I think that I am going to go in the house and chill.
    http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i378/roc2it/

Dude! Your garage looks way too clean!

I wouldn't finish the shelves. I would just rub them well with mineral oil. You can coat them any time they start looking dry, and it is food safe as well.

Question The day after....

After coming in the house last night and looking in the mirror I about died. Had so much crap on my face and in my hair that I thought I would never come clean. Climbing in that barrel and grinding out the paint was crazy. I believe that I must not have burnt it hot enough. The paint on the lower 8th of the barrel was very tough to come off. I have to drill the holes today and steel wool the boards (I am going to get some time to play today!) I had alreay started to poly them before the oil reply on them. Did anyone have replies on the wheels. Dont know if I should like go to Farm and Fleet and grab wheels and an axle or what. Let me know please.

Default Need a quick answer before I head to work tonight...

My ball valve is hooked to two galvanized nipples. Is that bad? My friend said that they can give off a poison gas. True or False?

My ball valve is hooked to two galvanized nipples. Is that bad? My friend said that they can give off a poison gas. True or False?
    It is true that galvanized metals can give off zink cloride gas when burned. Now with that said it usually takes welding temperatures to burn hot enough to create that reaction. You can simplely grind off the galvanizing. Other wise just get black pipe. If you do decide to weld the galvanized pipe do not breath the fumes. They will make you ill for certain.

I use 4 or 4.5 inch sanding wheels in 40 or 60 grite. 80 grit loads ups fast.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast