Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 21

4 members and 17 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Gorham, NH Saalt

On a revent trip out east, we had the pleasure of eating at a funky little pub in Gorham, NH called SAALT. It is evidently an acronym using the owners initials or something like that. It is downstairs from its more upscale big sister Libby's Bistro.

We found the atmosphere to be very cozy and intimate as well as extremely unusual. It was evidently also the basement of an old bank because there were two vaults that you could dine in if you liked. They were a bit claustrophobic for me.

The owner was on site (and I'm told always is, all the staff treated us like an old friend, and if we lived there, I would not cook at home much.

If you should happen to come within 50 miles of Gorham, NH, I would urge you to stop in for a meal here. I just don't see any way possible that you could be any less than impressed.

They made a lamb rib stew for us as well as an herb filled lamb burger. Everything was made on site including the bread. The mint and horseradish aeoli on the burger was the perfect addition to the perfectly cooked burger, and I can't even begin to describe the dpthe of flavor and body of the stew

Chef Kenny, a definite student and admirer of Mario Batali was pretty much in command of the kitchen wearing his orange Croc's clogs and sporting an undersized fedora cocked to one side, and displaying his pork tattoo.

Looks like a cool place. That burger looks Great!
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Looks like a really nice place and great review
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Looks like those NH Folks can cook!

Thanks for the pic's!
    Weber Spirit S-320 LP Gas Grill
    Charbroil Oil less Turkey Fryer
    Wife 1956 model

Very cool place, Tim! Great review!

In the pic after the close up of the door, is the ceiling made of tin or copper?

What is under the bar? Drawers?

Very neat place. How did you hear of it? Word of mouth around town?

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

I didn't notice the drawers or what the ceiling was made of. My guess is that the bar base is made from old file cabinets from the old bank. I didn't notice the ceiling being as shiny as it looks in the pic, so I wonder if that is not just an effect of the lighting and the camera.