usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 40

1 members and 39 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendations for a traveling smoker?

The girlfriend just bought a 30 ft travel trailer this past weekend (2006 Crossroads Zinger). Obviously it's going to need to be equipped with a grill and smoker or preferably a grill/smoker combo. I know many of you have RV's and I bet have something that you take along with you. So, let me know what it is. My initial thoughts are maybe a drum or a Weber kettle, maybe even some type of gasser that I could smoke/grill on. Ribs, brisket and steak will be the most frequent cooks I'm sure. So, throw it out there folks. What should I get?

P.S. - I can also haul it in the back of my truck if needed but it sure would be handy if it were ultra-portable/stowable.
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

Lots of folks take their drums and kettles. I'm sure the camper folks will be here soon, but sounds like you're right on track though.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

BGE....I think there is a hitch mount for them as well. Grill/Smoker/Pizza Oven. Heavy as an SOB though.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Since you want to do ribs and brisket I would suggest a Weber 22.5 OTG since you need the space and get some conduit or something and use them for the legs to make it a little more compact or you could go with a WSM. IMO though a kettle does a lot better low and slow than a WSM does high heat so go with the kettle.

Here is a thread to give you a visual idea what I am trying to say.
    http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...8522#789108522
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    BGE....I think there is a hitch mount for them as well. Grill/Smoker/Pizza Oven. Heavy as an SOB though.
    The Bubba keg has a hitch mount too and I believe they aren't that heavy.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

For $150 the Weber 22.5 inch, one touch Gold seems like it will work just fine. I'm already in the market for a spice/seasoning/rub box to keep all my cooking stuff together! It'll probably end up being the size of a foot locker. Let me see.....Pork rub, beef rub, rooster booster, worcestershire, salt, pepper, turkey marinade, injector, Montreal steak. WOW, this is fun. I love it when i get to buy more stuff!
    BellFab Smoker
    Weber Performer grill
    OSU - UDS Smoker
    KingCooker fish fryer

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    For $150 the Weber 22.5 inch, one touch Gold seems like it will work just fine. I'm already in the market for a spice/seasoning/rub box to keep all my cooking stuff together! It'll probably end up being the size of a foot locker. Let me see.....Pork rub, beef rub, rooster booster, worcestershire, salt, pepper, turkey marinade, injector, Montreal steak. WOW, this is fun. I love it when i get to buy more stuff!
    You can't go wrong with a Weber.....but:

Save yourself $50, and just get the one touch silver. All you are paying for is a fancier ash pan. You will want to get yourself some bungee cords or a ratchet strap to cinch the lid down for transport, and run some tek screws through the leg gussets into the legs so they don't fall out when you are moving it(usually happens when you have 10# of lit coal, and 3 racks of spares in it.).
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    I've been thinking about a couple of wooden ammo boxes (you've probably seen em at the big stores) for the basics to store my mobile seasonings in. They stack / store neatly and look good too.

I have a long plastic tote that I take if I have lots of stuff I need to take with me - depends on if you have the room for such a thing.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

SmokyOkie Guest

The WSM would be better for long smokes like briskets (like if you were camping and wanted to spend the afternoon on a hiking trail.

It can also be used as a grill if you take out the center section.

All suggestions sound great. Is the camper bumper hitch or fifth wheel. That has a bearing on what you will have room for. Have seen them with a reciever hitch rack on the back of the trailer with grills, smokers, etc. on them. Am sure you will figure some thing out. We have a bumper hitch and just haul the drum in the pickup when we want to take a smoker with us.
    Steve

1-UDS
    1-Homemade stickburner/ Buela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast