Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

6 members and 16 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Ribs

Default Walmart Ribs

Picked up a rack of BB's from Wally World yesterday. Looked good, smelled right when I put the RUB on. I took them off the smoker about 45 min early because they looked very done. Let them cool a bit and cut them up and discovered a strange sour smell. They had a weird flavor as well. My wife thought they were fine at first but when she broke into her half she got the same smell and flavor. I did everything with this rack the same as I always do.

If the meat was bad from the store, I think I would have noticed a sour smell or color or something right? Was a bad deal, lost the ribs, time, coal, ect. Worst of all I RELY WANTED SOME GOOD RIBS!!!

Any ideas????

antny
    Is it wrong to want a beer at 6 am when I fire up the smoker?

They put a gas into the cryo to keep the color longer. Probably what you are smelling and sometimes I think it can mask rotten meat
    ~Mike~
    www.buttloversbbq.com
    Big Green Egg - Large
    Backwoods - Custom Party
    FEC 100

Could be bad meat, but when you said they looked well done early, I got to thinking a bit. Did you use some really wet wood, heavy smoke, or put them in your smoker before its preheated? It almost sounds like creasote build up. Sometimes mesquite will do it as well if it doesn't burn right.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chef schwantz View Post
    Could be bad meat, but when you said they looked well done early, I got to thinking a bit. Did you use some really wet wood, heavy smoke, or put them in your smoker before its preheated? It almost sounds like creasote build up. Sometimes mesquite will do it as well if it doesn't burn right.

I did have heavy smoke for the first 1.5 hours, not wet wood tho. Same batch of wood I have been using for the last 6 or 8 months. As for the temp I think it was around 175 or so when I put them on. I thinks the meat was spoiled from the store, just thought I would have noticed right out of the package.

Thanks for you reply....

The Walmart ribs around here are injected with solution and cook up horribly....I'd never buy an injected rib. I get all of my ribs from Sam's Club. I hear Costco and Restaurant Depot has good ribs too.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Pumped pork is just not good eats, If the meat was spoiled I think you would have noticed it right off. I think based on what you have said the problem is creosote.

If you are getting heavy white smoke your making creosote. Early on in the cook it has plenty of time to get deep in the meat and can have that funky smell to it. I think that you should maybe get you pit a little hotter 175 is pretty low.

If you are burning strait wood develop a good bed of coals and pre heat your wood on the top of your fire box before placing it in the fire, It will speed ignition and eliminate the heavy white smoke, make sure that you fire has a good supply to the bottom of the fire base so it won't smolder from air starvation whether using wood or charcoal.

Bring your pit to cooking temp and get it settled out before putting the meat in.

And lastly don't buy your meat at wal- mart, IF the package labeling has a list of ingredients (required by law if the meat has any thing added to it) don't buy it look else where. Good Luck!!
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    The Walmart ribs around here are injected with solution and cook up horribly....I'd never buy an injected rib. I get all of my ribs from Sam's Club. I hear Costco and Restaurant Depot has good ribs too.

Sam's was out that's why I used Walmart. The package did say 20% solution, against my better judgment I used them anyway. The craving took control of me. ( Last Time I Do That ) Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the reply..

Quote Originally Posted by BluDawg View Post
    Pumped pork is just not good eats, If the meat was spoiled I think you would have noticed it right off. I think based on what you have said the problem is creosote.

If you are getting heavy white smoke your making creosote. Early on in the cook it has plenty of time to get deep in the meat and can have that funky smell to it. I think that you should maybe get you pit a little hotter 175 is pretty low.

If you are burning strait wood develop a good bed of coals and pre heat your wood on the top of your fire box before placing it in the fire, It will speed ignition and eliminate the heavy white smoke, make sure that you fire has a good supply to the bottom of the fire base so it won't smolder from air starvation whether using wood or charcoal.

Bring your pit to cooking temp and get it settled out before putting the meat in.

And lastly don't buy your meat at wal- mart, IF the package labeling has a list of ingredients (required by law if the meat has any thing added to it) don't buy it look else where. Good Luck!!
    Thanks for the info Dawg, I have never pre-heated my wood before. I will try that. I have never had a problem like this before so I am gonna blame it on the meat / Walmart. I pre-heat the smoker from now on, sounds like the right thing to do.

Thanks again

NEVER buy meat from Wally world!

Always have your pit at or above temp before you add the meat. I like to have mine at 250-300 before I add any meat. Cold meat will bring the temps down some on its own.

Lesson learned, to bad you had to waste your time and money at wallmart.
    The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
    NEVER buy meat from Wally world!

Always have your pit at or above temp before you add the meat. I like to have mine at 250-300 before I add any meat. Cold meat will bring the temps down some on its own.

Lesson learned, to bad you had to waste your time and money at wallmart.

I think it was the fact that they were pumped. Creosote has a very bitter taste, and would be easy to identify as an "oversmoked" taste.

Besides low temps in your meat droppinf the temp of the smoker, it will also cause smoke solids (creosote, etc) to condense on your meat rendering a very bad flavor.

Never put cold meat in your smoker, never put meat in a smoker that is not up to temp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast