» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 42

0 members and 42 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bending expanded metal

I got a piece of expanded metal yesterday for my firebasket, 14"x60".

It's the "rough" kind of EM, and I'm surprised at how "springy" it is, I thought it would be more malleable. Not going to be as easy to form into a nice circle as I might have thought.
    I have two ideas I'd like to toss out.
    -I have an old air compressor tank(slated to become a cooker itself) that is about 18" in diameter, I thought maybe I could maybe use a big ratcheting tie down strap to draw the EM around the tank to "get it close". If not for the feet and motor mount on the ends of the tank, you could almost maybe weld the grate to the EM while the metal was cinched around part of the tank.
    -Other idea is to toss the metal into a wood fire for awhile, then cool, and see if that takes the "spring" out of it enough to make it more workable?

SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!

Oh yeah, I should say also that my thermometer came yesterday, seller ships by rocket it seems!

SmokyOkie Guest

Where did you get your thermo?

What about nailing one end of the strip to a tree of smaller diameter than what you want your basket to be and just bending it around the tree. If you get it bent close to shape, you should be able to bolt the ends together and hold the shape. If it is still a little oval in shape, you can just step on it to bring it into shape.

I built mine from 304 stainless, and it just wouldn't bend at all. I ended up having to take it to a sheet metal shop and having it rolled.

Came from a 5-0 BBQ, a Tel Tru unit......

Seems that tank is more convenient than finding a suitable tree, but I like the way you think.

As an aside, it was a "custom cut", but I got clipped $30 for that piece EM, I did not expect that, in all honesty!

I've heard of people forming their baskets around LP gas grill tanks, I wouldn't recommend welging on an LP tank though.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

When I built the basket for BIG JIM I used the charcoal grate that is the bottom of the basket to form mine. I started in the middle of the EM laying it next to the rim of the grate slipped a piece of tie wire through the hole in the EM and around the rim of the grate and twisted it up and cut off the excess. Then I worked equally around the perimeter at 2" intervals first one side of center the the other until I got with in 4 " of the ends,then I one side until I reached the end then I did the other side overlaping the ends. The ends where tied together at their overlap on both sides with machine screws and flat washers.
    Be kind to me, it's not my fault I'm a "PORK-A-HOLIC"!!
    MY Blog:Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
    Chargriller Smokin' Pro/SFB
    Webber 22.5"
    Memorial UDS Big Jim

I have the sheet metal shop roll them for me. 18" dia 16" tall, 9 gauge 3/4". Cost me $20. It does pay to shop around and be patient bying waiting till they are slow.

A couple of pork butts have an amazing charm value.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

Agree - find a shop that has a roll that will handle the metal and let them roll it for you. You can bolt or tack weld the ends together. Heavy EM will last forever in a drum.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Sheeeeeet metal shop? Sheeeeet metal shop? WE don't got no stinkin' sheeeet metal shops!!!!!!!!!

Well, one mistake making this more difficult is the direction of the diamonds, a first timer builders mistake that will not be repeated!

This thing is a female dog! I abandoned the "around the tank idea", seemed like a good idea at the time, but not really so. Not nearly enough travel in the tie down to draw the steel all the way around, and I could't find another tie down handy like.....

[image]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/drumweld.jpg[/image]

I finally just applied brute force, a tool which has served me well in the past, to bring it into a rough circle, tied it with high quality wire(coat hanger) and abandoned it to await the welding. Clamp/tack/clamp/tack will get it done.................

Did I mention I should have specified having the long of the diamond pointing differently???????
    I did?
    Ok, just wanted to be sure......

SmokyOkie Guest

That's an interesting point. I never thought about it.

I never thought about it.
    Me neither.
    It was mentioned to me by a hobby-blacksmith friend from up in the Canadian Maritime....after I had the metal, of course........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast