Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 156

7 members and 149 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: temp issues

Default temp issues

Ok, somebody figure this out for me, 'cause it's got me stumped.

The last smoke I did, I combined all my leftovers together from various charcoal baskets, grills and my trash can--two kinds of lump, and a few briquets. It worked with no problem.

Today, I wanted to a batch of Dutch's beans, so I pulled my charcoal basket, and since it had quite a bit of ash throughout, I gave it a good shake or three to knock out the ashes. It settled quite a bit, so I added some more OO lump on top. I lit it off as normal, the temp started rising like usual, and then froze at 185-190. Even with all three intakes off, it wouldn't budge. digital in the middle and analog on the side agreed within a few degrees. I decided that I hadn't given the weed burner enough time, so I hit it for a couple more minutes. Put the lid back on, and it started climbing--all the way to 195. Then proceeded to drop back down to 188.

I put the beans on, hoping that the great BBQ Gods would make the temp rise, but after 45 minutes, still at 188.

I finally filled another charcoal basket with a fresh load, and moved the burning one to a second drum, to at least keep the beans hot while the fresh load was coming up to temp. While I was lighting the second one, I just glanced at the tmeter on the "keep warm" drum, and the SOB was rising right up like it was supposed to. By the time the fresh load was up to 225, the original basked had also reached 225, and stayed there. WTH?????

Now I'm sitting with two drums right on the money, so I threw the sausage and bologna in the drum with the fresh basket of charcoal.

Once again, anybody want to take a stab at explaining WTH happened? And why? When the original basket refused to come up to temp, I decided that shaking the basket had caused the charcoal to pack in tight enough to constrict the airflow. So then why did it take off when I put it in a different drum???? Makes no sense to me...
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

Mybe cuz the lit coals shifted while changing drums and lit the tightly packed unlit used bottom coals?

My first thought was moisture level until you said the it heated up when you moved to the other drum.

im going with you had to many sunday beers, or the bbq gods are telling you to send me one of your drums because you have 2many and i have none
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

had tha problem befor try a fan by one of the intackes

I wonder, if you grab some of the chunks of charcoal and try to break them up in your hand (after they cook of course), does it break easy? It's possible that the lump was mostly spent, but still had some shape.
    Josh
    AKA: Geek with Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geek with Fire View Post
    I wonder, if you grab some of the chunks of charcoal and try to break them up in your hand (after they cook of course), does it break easy? It's possible that the lump was mostly spent, but still had some shape.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge