usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 23

11 members and 12 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

to the forum Tim!

I too have a few Thermapens and like them very much.

I have seen your you tube video, and personally have not experienced the issues that your video illustrates.

Even if it were the case, the difference between your $100 price tag and the Maverick @ $62.50 justifies my use of the Maverick over Thermapen.

Thanks for the welcome SmokieOkie! We love this forum.

Glad you're having such good results with your Maverick. Just to clarify, the Thermapen lists at $96 and the Maverick lists in most places at $91.99 (sometimes $99.99).

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyRobinson View Post
    Thanks for the welcome SmokieOkie! We love this forum.

Glad you're having such good results with your Maverick. Just to clarify, the Thermapen lists at $96 and the Maverick lists in most places at $91.99 (sometimes $99.99).
    But Thermapens are always $96 plus shipping, and the Mavericks are always $62.50 at www.usbbqsupply.com

The Maverick sounds very intriguing - I may buy one and try it out. I have two Thermapens and like them very much, but am very interested in writing a head to head review of the two so as to weed out the differences that may make one more valuable through quality or durablity.

The thing that will attract more purchasers is price tag alone, but we all know that there are times when you get what you pay for... When I purchase a Maverick I will try it and post the review.

I would like to encourage anyone else to do the same. Word of mouth is worth its weight in gold.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

I have used both units. I have used the Thermapen extensively, but only used the Maverick a few times.

I have done side by side comparisons on the two in both boiling water and in ice water and can see no appreciable difference in the speed or accuracy between the Maverick and the Thermapen. I have seen a video that was produced by Thermapen that show the Maverick to be an underperformer, but I have not had that experience.

What I like better about the Thermapen is that fact that it is a little sleeker than the Maverick. I know there is a difference in battery life, but the Mav has a 10 hour continual use battery life. By my calculations, @ 3 seconds per use, that would mean that you have to change batteries every 1200 uses. For the price of 3 aa batteries, I think I can handle that.

What I like better about the Maverick is the larger display (any Thermapen user has had those times when it is a little hard to read) and the backlight. I really like the cool color of the backlight.

I think that for some folks who have not memorized their doneness temps, having them on the side of th unit would be handy as well.

All in all, if the price was the same, I would probably buy the Thermapen, but mostly just because that is what I am used to. Given the price difference, the choice is a no brainer in favor of the Maverick IMHO.

How's that Joe? Sorry, but I thought I had already done a better review than I had.

Here is a link to the official review
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 11-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Have burned up 9 Thermopens in the last year of cooking in a restaurant. I personally HATE the new design of the waterproof version.
    There more fragile than Matthew Staffords shoulder.

Looking forward to beating up a Maverick and will give a full review shortly.

Hell' i may have to carry these units in my store.
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3