» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 35

0 members and 35 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 2,911
Threads: 13,626
Top Poster: PigCicles (9,703)
Welcome to our newest member, oksprint
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Here's a Jack Miller BBQ Sauce Clone Recipe

Ville Platte Barbecue Sauce

This homemade sauce is very similar to the two famous Ville Platte (La.) barbecue sauces, Jack Miller's and Pig Stand. I reverse-engineered this recipe based on the ingredients lists and some knowledge of how my grandfather made a similar sauce.

This was my first attempt, but I believe the result is as close to those two sauces as those sauces are to each other. Pig Stand is slightly sweeter.

Ingredients
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 1/2 cups dried chopped onions (8 oz by weight)
    5 cups warm water
    10 oz bottle Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup catsup
    6 Tbs tomato paste
    3/4 cup chili sauce
    6 Tbs sugar
    1/4 cup margarine
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce
    1 tsp chili powder

Procedure
    1. Pour warm water over the dried onions in a bowl and allow to rehydrate for 30 minutes.

2. Into a pot of suitable size, put the all of the ingredients, including the onion water, and simmer for 2 hours or more, until the onions are very soft.

3. For basting sauce, take a portion of the sauce and add an equal amount of vegetable oil and heat. Use the top part of this mixture (the oil) for basting on the grill. The thicker sauce on the bottom can be painted on the meat during the last few minutes of cooking or served with the meat as a table sauce.

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Cooking Time: 2 hours
    Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes

Yield: about 2 quarts
    Author: Stadium Rat

Sounds good...I'm going to have to try and remember to do this one when Sauce Making time comes around again.
    Rat, you should stop by C'mon in and Sit Down and properly introduce yourself...
    Don't worry, we don't bite here.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

to The Joint Rat!

Thanx for sharing. There are many that aren't at all familiar with that type of sauce, but it's one of my favorites.

we like the Pig Stand a little better than Jack Miller's, but either will do. We also use butter instead of oil for a glaze.

I have a Pigstand clone recipe that I use sweet pickle relish in. Did you ever hear of that?

There's no pickles in Pig Stand, according to the ingredients list. Not saying you can't make something that tastes just like Pig Stand with pickles in it. There's lot's of ways to get to the sweet and sour of BBQ sauces.

The only sauce I know of that had pickles was Blue Plate BBQ sauce, but those were chopped dill I'm pretty sure. I was able to get a gallon of that a couple of years ago, but it cost $28 dollars with shipping. It's no longer available to the public, though.

Oh, I know there aren't any pickles in it, but I sure do like what happens when I add the relish.

The goal for the recipe above was to duplicate Jack Miller's/Pig Stand. I think the taste, color and importantly, the texture, is just like them. The texture depends on using the dehydrated onions. If I was trying to improve it, the first thing I'd do is substitute fresh onions, and the texture would be smoother.
    Last edited by Stadium Rat; 10-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Cool! I'm a fan of the Jack Miller's/Pig Stand type sauce. Haven't hat it in years though. I'm overdue!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, The Topper
    Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 in.
    Comalco Black Dog w/ CG SFB
    Gas Turkey Fryer

Quote Originally Posted by Stadium Rat View Post
    The goal for the recipe above was to duplicate Jack Miller's/Pig Stand. I think the taste, color and importantly, the texture, is just like them. The texture depends on using the dehydrated onions. If I was trying to improve it, the first thing I'd do is substitute fresh onions, and the texture would be smoother.
    The pickle relish does a fair job of imitating the onions as far as texture goes.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not suggesting that you change your recipe, in fact, I plan on trying it out.

I keep dehydrated onions around for just the same puropse. I just thought I might mention a different twist.

Update: I made this sauce for the first time 2 days ago, sampling Pig Stand and Jack Miller's as I went to make adjustments.

I just tasted my sauce and the Pig Stand sauce again cold and honestly, I could not tell them apart. I am out of the Jack Miller's, so I didn't get to compare that one.

I don't know if this is well known, but both Pig Stand and Jack Miller's were made (at least partially) by Jack Miller.

Tabasco also markets a similar sauce. The ingredient list is the same as Jack Miller's except for a tiny amount of an emulsifier listed as the second to last item.

Sounds good. Thx for the recipe.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast