» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 29

0 members and 29 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Doing a SmokyOkie Brisket this Saturday, First Brisket Ever

This Saturday, I am going to attempt to follow the SOB as posted in the forum and serving it on Sunday. Having never cooked a brisket or served a brisket any advice is welcome. Not sure what kind of rub I am going to use or will have access to at this time. As to packing it with pepper, what kind of pepper do you use, course, medium, or fine grind? Do you get the rub on 24 hours before smoking or is 48 better? At this time, my biggest is concerns are:
    • Picking out a good one, most likely, I will be buying it from Sam’s Club. Is thicker better than thinner, I don’t mind freezing leftovers, but would like to smoke one on the smaller side, what size # do you like?
    • When to put the rub on, 24 hours, 48 hours?
    • I have lumps of Hickory and Apple wood splits, Should I just use hickory or combination of both hickory and apple, or just apple wood? I also have access to mesquite should I use that in combination with the hickory or apple?
    • Cutting, determine the flat from the point, finding the direction of the grain?… I have no experience what so ever with this.
    • Cooking a day ahead of time – Do you cut the same day you cook or the day you serve? What about reheating it the next day?
    Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!
    Acurite Wally World digital therm
    Beer making equipment

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First off, don't think so much and relax, its only BBQ.

Get the brisket that flexes the most when you hold it in the middle. I usually put the rub my brisket the evening before and use a coarse ground black pepper. Use whatever wood you like with beef, usually its hickory or mesquite Speperating the point from the flat, there is a layer of fat between the two. For me the easiest way is to work my fingers in betwen the two and separate it that way if its not too hot. Pay attention to the grain of the flat before you season it to tell you which way to cut it. Cut it against the grain
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

SmokyOkie Guest

My

Ideal size is 12#-14#. Better larger than smaller than that.

I use fine ground pepper for comps because I done want the black little cinder looking pieces of pepper in the presentation. For eating, whatever you have will be fine.

Do not put the pepper on until right before you sear it.

The point is a hump shaped piece, and the flat...well it's flat.

If you turn the meat flat side up, you will be able to see the grain of the meat. You will want to slice it at a right angle to the grain. Cut a 3" piece off the thin end of the flat at the exact angle you will need to slice at, and then when it is done, there'll be no question.

I like to glove up and work my fingers between the two muscles like Vermin said, but if it is too hot, a rubber spatula works fine as well. You just don't want to use anything sharp that you cut from one into the other. The fat should guide you as to where to go to separate it.

Leftovers heat easily in the microwave. I like to vaccu suck slices and burnt ends, but save the us jus separately and thaw as needed.

Good luck, and have fun.

Most of all, have fun!

Afterthought...I am partial to mesquite on beef, others are not. Friutwoods other than cherry are generally a bit light to do much for you. Pecan, hickory and oak would all be good as well.

Good luck SmokeN, I did a smokeyOkie brisket and it was SMOKING GOOD.

Only piece of advice I can give you is to relax and listen to these guys, They got me where I am today!
    I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegetables

Pepper is good as a rub, but Chef's Brisket Rub is the BOMB! It is easy, all ingredients are available at most "name brand" grocery stores, and tastes great.

Definitely put the rub on the day before and wrap it in plastic wrap.

That and the SOB method will get you a delicious result.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by O B City View Post
    Pepper is good as a rub, but Chef's Brisket Rub is the BOMB! It is easy, all ingredients are available at most "name brand" grocery stores, and tastes great.

Definitely put the rub on the day before and wrap it in plastic wrap.

That and the SOB method will get you a delicious result.
    The pepper is not the rub. It is a pre sear seaoning.

the rub goes on the day before.

If you still have hair on your arm after you sear it you did not sear it enough or your fire was not hot enough.

Experience speaking.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

SmokyOkie Guest

Yeah, and I've got the pix to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    If you still have hair on your arm after you sear it you did not sear it enough or your fire was not hot enough.

Experience speaking.
    That's what welding gloves are for. Just don't use the ones you previously used to handle meat because you didn't have any heavy rubber ones... Funny thing how quickly those grease-impregnated gloves will flame!! It's hard to fling them off when you're holding onto a brisket...
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    That's what welding gloves are for. Just don't use the ones you previously used to handle meat because you didn't have any heavy rubber ones... Funny thing how quickly those grease-impregnated gloves will flame!! It's hard to fling them off when you're holding onto a brisket...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast