» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 44

0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

What is the stack diameter?

An intake on the end of the firebox so that air can flow in a straight line might be a better solution. With induced draft, making right angle turns greatly reduces air flow.

It's 4". I've found that when i just barely crack the lid sometimes, it gets up to temp faster. I guess it doesn't really have a hard time holding temp, just getting there sometimes. I'm still experimenting though. I'm sure if i just put more lump or sticks to start out with, it would be better.

SmokyOkie Guest

$" is plenty of stack for that cooker. the fact that it jumps up when you crack the lid kinda supports what I was saying. the stack has plenty of flow, or it wouldn't jump up when you open the lid a crack. You prolly just need better flow through the intake. Making an intake on teh end of the firebox would prolly fix it.

I could see the intake being the problem if i opened the firebox door, bypassing the intake vents, and the temp went up. But that isn't the case. It's not until I crack the lid, bypassing the stack, do the temps go up. Thats what I've observed anyway. To me it's like leaving the damper closed on the stack, and until i open the lid, I'm not getting enough flow through. Just my thoughts.

SmokyOkie Guest

You know, I hadn't thought about the right angle turns the air has to make inside the cooker. You may be right.

Any Lang owners care to chime in? What size is your stack diameter?

You know, I hadn't thought of that either! Maybe I have to "oversize" the stack, since the flow has bend back around.

SmokyOkie Guest

That's what I was saying. Let's see if we can get a Lang owner to give you his stack measurements.

You might drop MIchiana Mark a PM.

Great idea. Sometimes the obvious flys right by!

The inside dia on the Lang 60 is 4 1/4", height of stack is 18".

Looking at your pictures, the 8th one to be exact, I see your drain running down, but I also see another piece of metal. Is that the end plate of the baffle that is hanging down? Hot air travels across the underside of your baffle, if it's hitting any obstruction, this could be part of your problem. I remember talking to The Right Reverend, Walt Munroe, of The Smokin Scotsmen, once about a problem he was having with his Lang. He said that it wouldn't come up to temp one time, after an investigation, he found that one of his sticks had fallen down under his baffle. He usually carried his wood inside his smoker, until he got to the event, then took it out. From then on , he always carried X amount of wood, and inventoried it when he pulled it out.
    When I bought my Lang, the previous owner would at times drive it home with the firebox vents open. That way he wouldn't have to clean out the firebox. Well all that ash has to go somewhere, and it wasn't all out the vents. 60 mph wind blowing in the vents, 60 mph wind blowing across the stack, open or closed, created a vacuum. You guessed right, ash in the main, under the baffle 3" deep. Trip to the car wash.

Just my .02
    GLBBQA member
    KCBS member and CBJ
    Roadmaster BBQ
    2 UDS, 2 Weber grills

Thanks for your reply Mark! Yeah, that is part of the end plate haning down. I had seen a picture taken from the inside of a Lang, like the one I took there, and noticed that too. I figured that the end piece hanging down WOULD create a bit of a log jam for the smoke and heat to pass by, slowing it down and keeping the heat under the plate. Maybe I should trim an inch or so off, and see what that does. I can always add more if i took off too much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast