» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 25

0 members and 25 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
    don04 is offline Allowed to bring in wood for The Pit don04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default First UDS Build planning questions

Hello All. I am picking up a brand spakin' new drum this afternoon to start my UDS build. I have been researching for weeks, and wanted to check a few facts before I mess something up.

1. It is raw metal and the outside needs to be painted. It seems that any regular spray paint is ok? Should I just stick with high temp paint to be safe?
    2. A friend owns an exhaust shop, and I was contemplating using his services for intake/exhaust. Several people have posted that they used a 2" single intake up the side with a damper to cut off air.
    - I saw a post where the pipe was run in the bottom to the middle to get the air from the edge of the barrel to the middle of the basket.
    I know the standard is 3-4 hoes with one valve, will the single 2" exhaust set me up for success, or is it going to be a headache?
    3. Exhaust should be about 8" tall, 2" diameter... Anything longer can affect the draw from the bottom?

I think that is it for now.

TIA for all the help. I will post some pics as I go.

Don Fitz

1. Regular spray paint is fine.
    2. The 2" with damper is widely used, it just comes down to preference. I like the 3 3/4" intakes for fine tuning.
    3. I use a 2" Exhaust 6-8 " max. Never tried anything longer.
    Best of luck on your build Remember...Keep it Simple and you'll be really happy with the results.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

I built one with a 2" intake and a 3" exhaust. It works great. Their is a slideshow of the build on my web site under the UDS tab.
    There is also a pic of it in this thread. It's the first set of pics.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...ight=UDS+build
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 09-23-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Jim

SmokyOkie Guest

While I am aware that quite a few folks use 2" exhaust, I am not aware of anyone using a 2" intake. I would think it would be hard to manage. I see potential prollems with intake coming in the bottom of the drum, such as an ash catch pan would black air flow, and if no ash catcher, then what wold keep it from filling up with ashes.

I use two 1" ball valves 180 from each other and can't think of any reason to do anything else.

As to paint, high temp header paint is not all that expensive, and will protect you should you forget and leave the lid off too long.

For exhaust, the 2" bung works great, and a stack will not really do anything for you other than looks.

Roche Bros Barrel and Drum in Lowell, MA is where I got the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    While I am aware that quite a few folks use 2" exhaust, I am not aware of anyone using a 2" intake. I would think it would be hard to manage. I see potential prollems with intake coming in the bottom of the drum, such as an ash catch pan would black air flow, and if no ash catcher, then what wold keep it from filling up with ashes.

I use two 1" ball valves 180 from each other and can't think of any reason to do anything else.

As to paint, high temp header paint is not all that expensive, and will protect you should you forget and leave the lid off too long.

For exhaust, the 2" bung works great, and a stack will not really do anything for you other than looks.
    I agree with Okie, especially on the header paint. I do have a 6" stack, but it was because i wanted to put a LSU decal on it.

Good luck

h20loo is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket h20loo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post

Smokie- you always say that yet I'm sure you have seen a Big Grreen Egg and nobody complains about controlling them. No hole on the back side, never see the fire buring to the front, easy to control. I don't think you have tried anything but your set up which is OK but doesn't mean its the best.
    The truth is it doesn't matter how huge the intake is, what matters is how much is open. I use large intakes and find no difference in controlling my BGE or my UDS.

Smokie- I bet if you put a BGE intake on your barrel you would find it so convenient that you would never play with its plumbing!!

The bottom line though is use what you have and make it cook