Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 19

4 members and 15 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sounds like you may be confusing smoke ring (color) and smoke flavor. smoke flavor really doesn't penetrate the meat very far. Smoke flavor is actually as you stated, airborn solids that condense out on the meat. A little is good, a lot can be terrible. the reason you hear so much about thin blue smoke is that thin smoke comes from a hot burning fire, and a lot of the compounds that could end up on the meat are burnt off well.

So yes, it is very possible to continue to put smoke flavor on meat as long as it is exposed to smoke, and for most meats, 2-3 hours even in thin blue is plenty long enough.

My saying is that "No barbecue has ever been ruined by lack of smoke. A lot has been ruined by too much though."

The smoke ring stops forming at approx 140. That is where the chemical reaction between the smoke and the nitrate / nitrites stop reacting. The smoke flavor can be added to a point that you won't want to eat the meat (creosote build up). Keep the smoke thin and blue as possible.

Okie once called it Invisible Blue Smoke.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

That is one step beyond thin, and it makes for good Q.

did that help? i know when i first started i needed my hand held (still do) let us know
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

Yes, all your posts helped. I've been putting small splits of hickory onto burning coals and creating lots of white/light gray smoke up to 140 degrees internal temp. Using a 22' kettle with two fires going seems difficult to get the cook chamber temp low enough. The fuel holders are quarter moon shaped. I'll make new fuel holders that are curved to fit next to the kettle but the same width full length. The idea is to burn two small hot fires, keep the cook chamber temp down to 225-250 and steady. Currently the quarter moon shaped fuel holders burn hot at begining and cool when the fire gets to the wide part of the holder. The fuel is blocked away from the corners of the fuel holders until after the burning lump charcoal is dumped into the corners. Having fuel holders the same size from one end to the other might help stabilize the cook chamber temp. If that doesn't work then one fire instead of two might work. Turning the meat half way around every so often would be needed.
    I've got a propane tank for a fire box. This weekend I might get one big enough for the cook chamber.

Back when all I had to cook with was a kettle, I used one fairly small fire on one side of the grill and then cooked on the other. I also turned the meat fairly ofet, end for end as well as side for side.

Default learned some things

Hi everybody.Thanks again for all the help. Still looking for a tank about 24' in dia. and 3' to 4' long tank for a reverse flow cooker. After reading your posts I made another fuel holder 3" wide x 4' tall that covers 1/3 rd of the outside of the lower grill on a 22" weber-it curves around. The first load of fuel is lump charcoal and then refilled with briquets. The lump cooks hotter than the briquets. The meat is started when it is right out of the fridge to allow maximum time for the chem. process that creates bark. After the meats surface temp. is over 140 I use briquets just for termperature maintenance until the meat is done. In the winter the kitchen oven does the finish cooking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2