Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 26

5 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will this work??

Hi everybody, I'm very new at this low and slow and have been doing a lot of reading to learn. Please move this post if it's in the wrong place.
    If a brisket is moved from an indirect griller to a 175 degree oven after the internal temp. is over 140 degrees, how long in the oven is needed? A 12 pound packer brisket is used.
    I'm asking this question because due to being limited to a 22" kettle indirect grilling is as close to low and slow as I can do. I did a packer this way at 250-300 degrees, meat on the grill for two hours, then into a pan for 3 1/2 hours with mop sauce. At internal termp. of 185 put brisket in pan with all juices into a cooler with blankets to rest for 3 hours. The brisket was tender and tasty-won't be messing with tri tip for awhile.
    Will the 175 degree oven finish the brisket properly for slicing? All advise and suggestions are appreciated. Parts for a reverse flow cooker are being collected. Thanks in advance for all help.

The oven will work fine, but the 175 temp will hold you back. You will never be able to get your meat past that temp. I would set the oven up to the usual 225 or higher. How long will depend on the meat and the temp being cooked at.

I would take the brisket to at least 185 to 190 internal temp in the flat. Some will take them higher and that is fine too.

There are lots of opinions on brisket and how they should be done so stand by for more words of wisdom.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

By the way - why don't you stop by the C'mon In and Sit Down forum and introduce yourself. We love to welcome newbies. Ohh and try to get us some pics of that brisket so we can drool with ya.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Howdy ho!!!

We typically like to see 165 IT before going into foil. Then foiled we bring it up to around 200 IT.

If you want to use an oven go for temps similar to you outdoor cooker. 250 range is perfect.

You got the resting in a cooler thing down perfect already!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

well what did you do? and lets see a pic of it, and welcome to the Q
    Life @ Home Party Grill
    Char.broil smoker with side fire box
    Grand Cafe Model CG108ALP Out Door Kitchen
    Bradley Smoker
    probally every acces. and gadget known to man
    Fat Family BBQ Team Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Howdy ho!!!

We typically like to see 165 IT before going into foil. Then foiled we bring it up to around 200 IT.

If you want to use an oven go for temps similar to you outdoor cooker. 250 range is perfect.

You got the resting in a cooler thing down perfect already!!
    Who is we? Time to foil is when bark looks right. What reason would there be to leave it to leave it out after that? And there are many reasons to get it into the foil as soon as possible. At least that's my take.

At 200, you will have to slice it pretty thick to keep it from crumbling, but some like it that way. Whatever temp you go to, just learn what you like. Remember too, your internal temp will rise about 10.

Take your burnt ends over 200 if you wan, you won;t need to slice them, but that may be a little too much for slices.

My boss uses a BDS when he does his briskets and he will pull them off when they reach 165 internal. Figures it got enough smoke. He then puts it back on his drum and lets it get up to around 300 degrees and then he finishes it off until it reaches 200 internal. He has brought some in for sammies for lunch and its pretty tasty and tender.
    Man, there is a bunch of ways to do a brisket, I figure the type of pit you are cooking on will dictate the way you go about it.

If it's a cold cruddy day and your brisket is around 160 internal, shouldn't be a problem to wrap her up and toss her in the oven.

Before, I put mine in foil, I will lace the brisket down with a little sea salt and I pour in a Dr.Pepper.
    Tiernan Co. "Son of Brisket" Cooker

I used to be limited to indirect Weber cooking, but at the time I never considered it "limited". Your oven is one of the weapons available in your arsenal, and there is nothing wrong with using it.

If you read the Smokie Okie Brisket Method, you can do everything through step 8 with your kettle grill, and step 9 in your oven. Once it is in foil, smoke penetraion is 0 anyways so it won't taste any different.

I agree 225 - 250 is the correct oven temperature.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

Default Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody for your posts. Next time I'll use the oven to finish.
    Jake, I don't have a digital camera, yet. PigCicles, I did the C'mon In
    forum after your post. I didn't know to trim the fat down to 1/2" thick, just cut through the fat to the meat. Then used mustard to stick the basic barbecue rub recipe from Steve Raichlen's How To Grill book to the meat. A mop sauce, lump charcoal, and hickory chunks were also used. If anyone wants I'll post the rub/sauce recipes.
    Somewhere I read that the chemical process that meat goes through to create smoke flavor stops at about 140 degrees. Getting too much smoke flavor has been posted a few times. Please explain the too much smoke flavor. Could that be actual smoke particles/soot stuck to the meat and not the chem. process at work? Gotta build the smoker cooker-reverse flow

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Who is we? Time to foil is when bark looks right. What reason would there be to leave it to leave it out after that? And there are many reasons to get it into the foil as soon as possible. At least that's my take.

At 200, you will have to slice it pretty thick to keep it from crumbling, but some like it that way. Whatever temp you go to, just learn what you like. Remember too, your internal temp will rise about 10.

Take your burnt ends over 200 if you wan, you won;t need to slice them, but that may be a little too much for slices.
    Me and all the little people hiding in my head!!!!

And I Okie quote "What reason would there be to leave it to leave it out after that?"

Huh?

Typically around 165, I will clear that up. If ya lookin too much, ya aint cookin.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast