» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

0 members and 17 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,355
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Thread: Basic Rib Cook

Default Basic Rib Cook

Start off with either baby back's or spares...I love both, but will usually buy what looks best and is reasonably priced. Here I am using BB's.

Trim and demembrane the ribs. This can be a little tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Once you can get a hold on the membrane, a dry paper towel helps to tear it of.

Next I give them a bit of a mustard slather (I use French's)

Next comes your favorite rub you like to use....

Then into the smoker running about 225-235. I use a variation on the 3-2-1 method. 3-2--1- means 3 hours in the smoker unfoiled, 2 hours wrapped in foil with a few sprays of apple juice and a shot of JD from a spray bottle, then 1 hour out of the foil back in the smoker.........3-2--1 is just a guide line. Times will vary depending on cut's of meat(thickness) the type of ribs, temps...both outdoor and cooker. Some folk's don't like to foil at all and have great results.......just a matter of what works for you.

Last, I take them out about 15 minutes before they are done and put a glaze on them...then back in for 10-15 min....not too long, if your glaze has alot of sugar in it, it wil burn and turn dark quickly. My glaze usually consists of my favorite sauce, a splash of apple juice, honey, and some demura sugar.

Last edited by PigCicles; 03-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Tonto.

Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

www.smokinscotsmen.com

Geer Pit by Jambo
    FEC-100
    WSM
    WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

KCBS #22O85
    CBJ #22085

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.