usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

7 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Posts: 157,535
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Need your input

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Deming NM, sw corner
    Posts
    564

    Default Need your input

    Hi folks, got a little problem and maybe you can help. I have a friend who is not retired like me and he has a tile instalation business and no extra time for Qen. He wants to throw a party next mo. and would like me to do the catering ( cooking ).

    Our menu will be pork butt, brisket, chuck roll maybe, chick. thighs, jalapeno sausages, poppers, mac and cheese, and beans. He has yet to decide on how many will be eating etc.

    This is my problem. I contacted SmokyOkie and he thought that 4 oz. of cooked meat per serving avg. or 6-8 oz. for big eaters. Does this sound about right? The party will most likely be in the afternoon so that means that I will have to cook the big stuff the day before which I can do. Havn't done this before. What I need is your input on reheating the beef and butts plus any other info and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much. E.T.
    JennAir-750-0141 ng
    JennAir Rotisserie
    E-Z Que Roto, 8" Basket
    Rib O Lator
    Acu-Rite Digital Probe
    Maverick ET-72 Remote Probe
    Brisket Rack
    Heat Vent Blocks.
    1 1/2"x1 1/2" SS Angle piece,Smoke and Heat control
    Sub Grate Between Burners and Main Grill.
    No Flare Square Ceramic Tiles
    Kiln Shelving dividers
    17"x23" pizza stone



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruskin, FL
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    E.T., if you have access to a cambro or a really good cooler, you may not need to reheat the meat. I wrap my big meats in a blanket, in a cooler and it stays really hot for quite a while.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siesta Man View Post
    Hi folks, got a little problem and maybe you can help. I have a friend who is not retired like me and he has a tile instalation business and no extra time for Qen. He wants to throw a party next mo. and would like me to do the catering ( cooking ).

    Our menu will be pork butt, brisket, chuck roll maybe, chick. thighs, jalapeno sausages, poppers, mac and cheese, and beans. He has yet to decide on how many will be eating etc.

    This is my problem. I contacted SmokyOkie and he thought that 4 oz. of cooked meat per serving avg. or 6-8 oz. for big eaters. Does this sound about right? The party will most likely be in the afternoon so that means that I will have to cook the big stuff the day before which I can do. Havn't done this before. What I need is your input on reheating the beef and butts plus any other info and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much. E.T.
    Havent done much catering but have cooked for groups before. The 3rd pound per person that Okie mentioned is correct assuming you have some numbers of people coming because it will average out. Especailly when you have food options, beef, pork and chicken. As far as cooking the nite before. For the big cuts, IE that pork and beef we cook them where they come off the pit round 9 or 10pm foil them and cooler them. The next morning they are still piping hot but cool enough to handle. We pull the pork and either crockpot it, or foil pan for table warming. On the brisket we slice it in foil pans to table warm, chunck up the point and make burnt ends for munchies before the big meal. Have fun and of course just my . there ware probably WAY better ways to do it!

    Still wish I had a Cambro!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post
    E.T., if you have access to a cambro or a really good cooler, you may not need to reheat the meat. I wrap my big meats in a blanket, in a cooler and it stays really hot for quite a while.
    Do you keep them overnight that way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    Havent done much catering but have cooked for groups before. The 3rd pound per person that Okie mentioned is correct assuming you have some numbers of people coming because it will average out. Especailly when you have food options, beef, pork and chicken. As far as cooking the nite before. For the big cuts, IE that pork and beef we cook them where they come off the pit round 9 or 10pm foil them and cooler them. The next morning they are still piping hot but cool enough to handle. We pull the pork and either crockpot it, or foil pan for table warming. On the brisket we slice it in foil pans to table warm, chunck up the point and make burnt ends for munchies before the big meal. Have fun and of course just my . there ware probably WAY better ways to do it!

    Still wish I had a Cambro!!!
    14 plus hours is an awful long time time to hold in a cooler. I personally would not feel comfortable with that much time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Deming NM, sw corner
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Thanks for your input guys, It helps a lot. E.T.
    JennAir-750-0141 ng
    JennAir Rotisserie
    E-Z Que Roto, 8" Basket
    Rib O Lator
    Acu-Rite Digital Probe
    Maverick ET-72 Remote Probe
    Brisket Rack
    Heat Vent Blocks.
    1 1/2"x1 1/2" SS Angle piece,Smoke and Heat control
    Sub Grate Between Burners and Main Grill.
    No Flare Square Ceramic Tiles
    Kiln Shelving dividers
    17"x23" pizza stone



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Do you keep them overnight that way? All the time.



    14 plus hours is an awful long time time to hold in a cooler. I personally would not feel comfortable with that much time.
    14hrs?? hum 10 at nite, im an early bird say wake up round 5 break into coolers round 6am? 8hrs I figure, and I feel REAL safe with that, like I said that meat when broke open is steaming still!!

    Still wish I had a stand up cambro, so does my wife!! Now we have a beef cooler and a pork cooler and one left for us!!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chargrilled View Post
    14hrs?? hum 10 at nite, im an early bird say wake up round 5 break into coolers round 6am? 8hrs I figure, and I feel REAL safe with that, like I said that meat when broke open is steaming still!!

    But he's not serving til after noon. I don't think you want the meat sitting in a crockpot for several hours either.

    Still wish I had a stand up cambro, so does my wife!! Now we have a beef cooler and a pork cooler and one left for us!!!
    Here's your huckleberry
    ships free. I saw one of these at a cooking class and had to have one. No gaskets to fail. no hinges to need adjustment, the door had=s a positive slide in seal that makes it impossible to warp, and at a fraction of the cost of Cambro.

    You can also get this one for less, but the shipping isn't free.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    [quote=SmokyOkie;89464]Here's your huckleberry
    ships free. quote]

    !!! they also stack with cambros!!
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,976

    Default

    I have owned 2 of the old style Carlisles, and two different style Cambros. This is my favorite of them all.

Similar Threads

  1. Knives.... Need some input
    By lucky8926 in forum The Pickle Barrel
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
  2. UDS / Input Needed
    By Fattdaddy in forum Vertical Drum Smokers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
  3. Need some drum input
    By donnylove in forum Vertical Drum Smokers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
  4. We are asking for your input
    By Fatboy in forum The Pickle Barrel
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
  5. Need some input - just toasted 3 chickens
    By flying illini in forum Poultry
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1