usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 61

12 members and 49 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ceramic knives? I must have been out of pocket for awhile????

Heard these were starting to gain in popularity? Has anyone had the luxury of using one and if so, speak up!!!

https://secure.kyoceraadvancedcerami...ery/index.html

Just bought a 12" Vicorinox brisket slicer with granton edge from amazon (37 bucks! thought that was good!, no shipping charges).

Have been looking at Global GF series blades, esp their chefs and vegetable slicer.

Just cant cough up the dough right now.

Got a couple of Shuns but their sharpening angle upsets me as ya got to send them in to get 12 degree and I get all my stuff sharpened at 18!!!

Our favorite still is a cheap Target Henckels santuko that STAYS sharp for some reason. The real Henckles are thicker and wont hold the edge. HUMMMMMMMMMMM??????
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Drop the ceramic and you're screwed....
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Bought a nice chef's knife for my mother, she dropped it once, the tip popped right off.
    UDS Mini UDS Weber Performer Weber 18.5 OTG Smokey Joe Smokey Joe WSM mod Weber-Q 1200

Ask BA_LoKo about his Kyocera ceramic. it had mmomre chips in it than a high stakes poker game the last time I saw it. The worst part is that you can't sharpen it.

Could be that your Henkels knives won't hold an edge because they aren't designed for that narrow of an edge.

15 is typical for Asian style knives, and western and European knives are generally designed for a 20 edge.

How are you sharpening them? Is it possible that the sharpening method is overheating the blades?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Ask BA_LoKo about his Kyocera ceramic. it had mmomre chips in it than a high stakes poker game the last time I saw it. The worst part is that you can't sharpen it.

Could be that your Henkels knives won't hold an edge because they aren't designed for that narrow of an edge.

15 is typical for Asian style knives, and western and European knives are generally designed for a 20 edge.

How are you sharpening them? Is it possible that the sharpening method is overheating the blades?
    "Got a couple of Shuns but their sharpening angle upsets me as ya got to send them in to get 12 degree and I get all my stuff sharpened at 18!!!"

Appears he does not sharpen his own? What say Trav???
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    "Got a couple of Shuns but their sharpening angle upsets me as ya got to send them in to get 12 degree and I get all my stuff sharpened at 18!!!"

Appears he does not sharpen his own? What say Trav???
    hell no i dont sharpen my own! the meat man does it for me, there is an automatic sharpener machine (dunno what brand it is, but its like $1200 if I recall) he uses on all his knifes at the shop. I just bring in all my steel couple times a year. It does great dont get me wrong, Im just sayin!

I was misread, the shuns are sharpened at 16 degrees from factory. I believe my buddys machine sharpens everything at 18 degrees. The shun steel holds an edge but no where near that mutt knive. For 2 degrees I aint sending it in. I believe the Globals are sharpened at 15 degrees.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

The broader the angle, the better it holds an edge. Narrower angles are sharper, but more delicate.

Default Sharpening

I had an old scotsman http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sha.../9780941936767 show me how to use a wet stone several years ago. I paid him $20 at a Fine Woodworking show seminar. It was money well spent.

With the harder steels I progressed to diamond wet stones and away from the japanese water stones. I spend less than a min per knife a couple of times a year.

I have power grinders with blue, pink and white stones. They are good for hollow grinding chisels and plane blades, so that they sharpen quicker with a wet stone. Grinding is a preparatory step.

I believe that buck knives warrantee is null and void is you use a grinder.

You will get better edges with a good wet stone.
    Jerry.Hickory Grove BBQ
    20" x 72" Gravity Feed by Wasson
    Member GLBBQA http://www.glbbqa.com/
    Member KCBS and Certified Judge

I don't think I am alone when I say that my problem with stones is maintaining the correct angle with each stroke.

I tried for about 30 years to find a method that worked well and consistently for me.

I found my answer in the Chef Choice diamond sharpener. I sharpen my knives frequently, partially because I am very persnickety about sharpness, and partially because I use them so much.

The onlly complaint that I have about the Chef's Choice is that the guides can leave marks on the side of the blade. They don't hurt anything other than so as to be unattractive.

I know very well how to use a whet stone, whether with oil or water, and used that method for years. In fact, my hat is off to those that can use one well. I think though that after the # of years I tried it, it will never work for me, and, like I said, I don't think I am alone in this regard.

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has mentioned the benefits of a good steel for keeping a blade sharp.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast