» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 58

0 members and 58 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many have both?

Hello all. I have recently ordered my 1st smoker (18.5 wsm). I am so intrigued though by all the fantastic UDS's being built. Does anybody have both? What are the differences in the end result? If you dont have both but chose one over the other, what were your reasons? Thanks for all the replies.

"Do you smell smoke?"

CG Smokin Pro
    Weber 18.5 OTS
    18.5" WSM
    UDS (Under Construction)

Johnny

I have both. I really can't tell the difference between food cooked in either one. Maybe if I cooked the same thing at the same time in each could. I like the UDS over the 18.5 mostly because I can fit more stuff in it and use the 18.5 if I only have a small cook going on. The WSM is a great smoker but so is the UDS. I'd be happy with either one.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

SmokyOkie Guest

Big difference is that the drum is slow direct heat. It will crisp up chicken skin and sausage unlike th WSM.

The WSM will do better on large cuts because of the water pan. Large things can cook low and slow and indirect without scorching and hardening the bottom side.

I would have them both and add a Backwoods, Hasty Bake and FEC 100. Prolly a good sized stickburner as well....

But then, that's just my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Big difference is that the drum is slow direct heat. It will crisp up chicken skin and sausage unlike th WSM.

The WSM will do better on large cuts because of the water pan. Large things can cook low and slow and indirect without scorching and hardening the bottom side.

I would have them both and add a Backwoods, Hasty Bake and FEC 100. Prolly a good sized stickburner as well....

But then, that's just my perspective.

See, he says that because he has all those toys, and more.
    And he's right.

I have an ECB and a drum. And I can definitely taste the difference between the two. The drum combines grilled flavor with smoked flavor because the drippings fall into the fire and burn, same as on a charcoal grill. That is the essence of grill flavor. But you also get the smoked flavor from the smoking wood included in the fire basket. And a nice bark.
    The bullet smoker uses the water pan as a heat shield between the fire and what you are cooking. You just get good smoked flavor.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

In addition to what has been said, the UDS is much more fuel efficient.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post

Why do you suppose that is?

I mean, they both use controlled oxygen starved combustion, and neither is insulated. What makes the drum burn longer on less fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Joneser View Post

I disagree sort of. I use a clay pot saucer inserted in my water pan as a heat sink and use less fuel in my WSM than I do in my UDS. If you use water in your pan than your gonna use a lot more fuel to get up to temp.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

In my experience the WSM uses more fuel. The UDS seems to be "Tighter" when it comes to vagrant air infiltration. My good friend has both and he prefers the UDS for many reasons.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

SmokyOkie Guest

I prefer the WSM for things like turkeys, and other things that take a long time to cook and stand to be damaged by prolonged direct heat.

I tend to use the drum more for quick cooks...kinda like a low fire grill.

I would prolly use the drum more for long and intermediate smokes if I didn't have so many other cookers that are designed for that, ike the Backwoods, the FEC, Lucille, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin99 View Post
    I disagree sort of. I use a clay pot saucer inserted in my water pan as a heat sink and use less fuel in my WSM than I do in my UDS. If you use water in your pan than your gonna use a lot more fuel to get up to temp.
    If you use the clay pot and not water, does it allow the wsm to cook chicken w/ crispier skin? I know it was said earlier that the UDS gives you this but the WSM cannot. By the way, my shop foreman at work today said that he had a closed top 55 gallon steel drum in mint condition at home that he will give me. He is going to bring it in tomorrow so we can cut the top out, and then I get to have it.

"Do you smell smoke?"

CG Smokin Pro
    Weber 18.5 OTS
    18.5" WSM
    UDS (Under Construction)

Johnny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast