» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 28

0 members and 28 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Cooking with a UDS

I'm ready to build my first UDS. I have read how-to guides and am very comfortable with the build. Once it's built how do I cook with it? For example, if we wanted to smoke a pork butt how much charcoal & wood should be used? Sounds like silly question, but is there any info on how to cook with one after it's built?

I can only assume that if you have followed the directions on this site that you would have a fire basket large enough to hold at least a 10 lb bag of LUMP characoal. After a test burn to season the drum after brushing the insides with bacon fat you are ready to fire up that bad boy with a full basket of lump and a nice Boston Butt of 8 to 9 lbs and kiss it with hickory smoke at 225-230 until an internal temp of 160 or so. Wrap in foil and take to the 195-200 range. Place in cooler wrapped in blankets for an hour or so and then pull and enjoy. I would rub with a good rub such as Head Country Championship Rub but there are many others, rub and seal in plastic wrap and plane in frig for 12 to 36 hours. I inject with apple juice, Jack Daniels, Worchestershire, rub, etc. the night before and put on early 7:00 am if you want to eat at 6:30 pm as it may be a stuborn Butt. NOW ENJOY and post pictures of your end product. 4 0r 5 fist size chunks of wood, hickory, oak, whatever you like.
    A WORD to the WISE is not necessary....It's the STUPID ones that need advice............
    Brain cells come and brain cells go but FAT cells live forever!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

TEC/CharBroil Infrared 5 burner w/ sideburner
    UDS Modifications. A Beauty
    Aussie 2 burner propane w/ side burner (Lake)
    Modified Smoke Cube (Lake)
    Modified ECB Propane Water Smoker (Lake)

I usually fill the basket with 10 pounds of lump, and add 2 or 3 fist size chunks of pecan, or cherry, or hickory. Use whatever wood you prefer. You can also just put a bigger split of wood in the basket instead of chunks. After your butt or whatever has reached the desired temp, close off the intakes and cap the exhaust. The fire will go out and you will have lump to use on the next cook. My UDS will hold 250 for 30+ hours if I don't close it down. Hope this helps.
    Stump's Stretch
    Ugly Drum Smoker
    Chargriller Smokin Outlaw
    Shoal Creek Fire BBQ Team

SmokyOkie Guest

There is info all over this site as to how to cook just about whatever you want on a drum.

As to how much fuel to use, fill your basket. You will smother what is unused and use it next time.

As to how much wood, less is better.

fire it up, cook something, show us what happened, and if it doesn;t come out like you wanted, we will help yo figure out what to change.

You have to establish a baseline first.

NOW!

Git 'er lit and Git 'er done!

And show us the pics!!!
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Ditto to what they said, and I will add, welcome to the club.
    Master Cabinetmaker,KCBS Certified Judge,Student of the smoking arts,All around gear head
    Ugly drum smoker,Chargriller,Custom Backwoods Chubby,Bellfab backyard model

"I love what mine cause, whats mine is all mine. Gives me a reason to go get more"- John Popper, Blues Traveler.

SmokyOkie Guest

Yes indeed, to The Joint Icepick!

When you get a chance, why don't you drop by the "C'mon in and Sit Down" forum and give yourself a proper intro?