Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 26

8 members and 18 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Salt Lick Dry Rub

As I have said in other threads, http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...ight=salt+lick, http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...ight=salt+lick
    I was never impressed with the Salt Lick Dry Rub out of the shaker. It seems under salted, under garlicked, under something?? Boring. About all I could taste was pepper. I can do pepper w/o buyin' this chit! As a result, I was reluctant to try it on cooked meat.

Well, I tried it on my latest butt and liked it. Made a really nice bark. But the pork was also injected with Tony C's Creole Butter marinade, so I couldn't judge Salt Lick on its own. Determined to give it a proper solo evaluation, I included it in a recent chicken cook. The result was very good, but I placed it 2nd or 3rd behind Rooster Booster and Head Country.

Well, I just ate a couple of thighs that were "Licked" and resting in the fridge for a few days, and I gotta say this stuff rocks! Not a very complex seasoning, but it just goes so well with smoke. I always thought I needed a buncha garlic and stuff, but this is excellent. To taste uncooked it's peppery, but cooked in and allowed to mingle and make friends with the meat, not so much.

OK, done pork (injected) and chicken. Gonna try on ribs (beef and pork) and I bet it would rule on brisket! I'll get back to y'all with details and results as they happen. Stay tuned!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

I have also used it on a Tri Tip Cook and really liked it as well. I had it on ribs & Brisket when I did my review of the Salt Lick restaurant as well. My review stated that the brisket was missing something, but the ribs were perfect from a flavor standpoint.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

It's always good to get in some fresh reviews of products. I have some waiting for the day I have time to cook and enjoy myself. I've been wanting to try it on chops and beef. Let us know what you think on your next try
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    It's always good to get in some fresh reviews of products. I have some waiting for the day I have time to cook and enjoy myself. I've been wanting to try it on chops and beef. Let us know what you think on your next try

Yeah, so when ya gonna get around to that? You say "chops and beef", but in the closet, I bet you're smearin' your chicken!

But seriously, I'd like your opinion.
    UDS, Vicking grill

I'll let ya know when I get to cook. I know for sure I've got at least pulled pork coming up for a wedding shower, maybe a brisket. Schedule changes and real life seem to get in the way too much any more

I promise ya I'll let everyone know when it comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshoots View Post
    Yeah, so when ya gonna get around to that? You say "chops and beef", but in the closet, I bet you're smearin' your chicken!

But seriously, I'd like your opinion.
    BTW ... don't think I didn't notice what you said Don't make me come down there

I'll let ya know when I get to cook. I know for sure I've got at least pulled pork coming up for a wedding shower, maybe a brisket. Schedule changes and real life seem to get in the way too much any more

I promise ya I'll let everyone know when it comes down.
    BTW ... don't think I didn't notice what you said Don't make me come down there
    Ain't that the truth.

I wish you would come down here. I'd like to meet ya and have a glass of whiskey and a steak. Talk about the finer things in life, like chicken!
    UDS, Vicking grill

OK, time to try the Lick on some pork ribs, in this case baby backs. This is about the rub, so I did no mopping, spritzing, or saucing here. Two ingredients; pig bonz and Salt Lick Dry Rub.

Seasoned...

...and wrapped and allowed to marinate.

On the Topper at 250 deg.

Cooked til they almost folded in half when I picked 'em up in the middle. Pulled and foiled for a rest.

when I opened the foil they looked like this:

Mmmmm...smells Maaaaahhhvelous!! Time to slice...

The meat was excellent! Tender and juicy!

The rub, as I predicted was peppery, but very good once cooked into the meat. Other flavors come through that are otherwise not noticed from the shaker. Salt, garlic, onion, paprika, all subtle. Plays nice with the 'squite smoke. I deliberately gave it a couple days in the fridge before posting any review because I find that it mellows a bit.

But there's no escaping the pepper. Both black and cayenne. It's out there, and I advised my bride that she may not like it for that reason. But to my surprise, she seemed to dig it!

Overall, great stuff. Much better than I had originally anticipated. On thinner cuts of meat like ribs (as opposed to butts or briskets) back off a little if you want less of the pepper flavor. If ya like pepper, pile and smile, bro!
    UDS, Vicking grill

Far Out! (when was the last time you heard that used in a sentence?) I'm a fan of pepper so I'll have to give it a shake or two on ribs too. Tom you just keep piling these Salt Lick must tries on me.... Thanks buster. I'll get some time off this weekend and hoping to do a little cooking if the wife don't get in the way.

Good review Tom - Thanks for sharing.

btw looks like the cook was properly seasoned too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast