Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 20

4 members and 16 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Texas Trifecta

He!! Rob, that looks good enough for an Okie to eat! Send me Some?

As to the ccola, that was tongue in cheek if you knnow what I mean.

I do think that you can find some good lump in your area though.

Your inlets, I don't understand, are they oblong?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    He!! Rob, that looks good enough for an Okie to eat! Send me Some?
    I would, but the leftover briskets were sold, proceeds to the charity. Had a lot of compliments on my cooking, with one guy making a special trip to tell me a 2nd time how good the brisket was.

As to the ccola, that was tongue in cheek if you knnow what I mean.

I do think that you can find some good lump in your area though.
    I didn't take it seriously, and I'm sure there is other coal in the area. I've had good results with the RO, though, and I don't spend a lot of gas and time looking for it. (I spend enough on work as it is.)

Your inlets, I don't understand, are they oblong?
    The inlets are round. I used 3/4" ID black steel pipe nipples, 1.5" long, for the intakes, held in place with conduit nuts.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

I wouldn't put that solid piece in there Chuck. You really need the fire to be able to breath from all directions and if I understand what you're saying, it would prevent air circulation.

There is no difficulty in just turning the drum upsie down and dumping it after a cook. If you want to save a little messiness, buy some 55 gal drum liners, fit them over the top and then dump into it.

I am emphatically echoing what Mike said. Oh, and thanx for the tip Mike.
    Sorry... Been busy and havent had a chance to log on lately...

As far as the solid plate, it is actually laying in the bottom of the barrel so it's not blocking any airflow. I just wanted to be able to lift it with the ashes out of the barrel. The eye bolts for the charcoal grate are too long and I can't lift the plate out anyway unless I remove 2 of the eye bolts, so I just dump it the manual labor way.

As far as only having one intake, that just aint gonna work on mine. I started with two, one being plugged. After I removed the plug I am maintaining 230*-250* with the ball valve about 50% open.

Friday I was doing 4 packers on two grates and I had to drill another hole during the cook before it would barley creep up to 230*. I did have alot of meat on it though.

I will add a fourth intake just to make it even, plug them all and remove as needed.

I have four exhausts and will add a couple of more as well.

As far as the second grate goes, it is 6" below the top grate that is 6" from the lip on the top of the barrel. The bottom grate will no longer be used for meat, but should work good for potatoes, water pan, etc...
    Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com Updated 01/10/10

Midnight Blue Smokers - Ft. Worth, Texas

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Are you burning briquettes? That would make a big difference,

Also, what was the temp of the meat when you put it in? That would make a difference as well if you had 50 or 60# in there.

Last but not least, how much of the fuel was involved in combustion when you closed it up?

Are you burning briquettes? That would make a big difference,
    Yes... I was using Kingsford Briquittes. I loaded my charcoal basket about 2/3 full and mixed with a few hickory chunks towards the bottom. I filled my chimney and lit it. I dumped the chimney into the basket then added a small hickory log.

Also, what was the temp of the meat when you put it in? That would make a difference as well if you had 50 or 60# in there.
    The actual meat temp I am not sure of. I had it rub and in the fridge overnight. As soon as I came home from work that morning I removed the meat and started the fire. The meat was on the counter about 30 mins.

Last but not least, how much of the fuel was involved in combustion when you closed it up?
    Are you asking when I closed it just after dumping the lit coals? That I'm not sure but I left the lid off about 10 minutes or so.

The only thing that I did differently this time from the other times that I have lit the smoker is that I used more coal this time. Everything else was the same.
    Chuck

Q Joint Plank Owner.

I was trying to figure out why you neded so much air inlet in order to come up to temp.

I think that the fact that you were using briquettes has a lot to do with it being as lump burns hotter than briquettes. That may well be the long and short of it.

I was curious as to how cold the meat was just to see if that may have had a bearing on it. I'm sure it did at first just given the sheer volume of cold meat versus the overall volume of the drum, but as the meat came up to temp it shouldn't have really mattered.

As to how you lit it and how much of the fuel was lit when you closed it, I know some folks only light a small amount and let it burn gradually into the rest of the fuel (Minion method), in fact, with my drum, I have to do that or there is just way too much heat to manage.

I'm certainly no t questioning how you designed or burn your drum, I'm just trying to figure out the drastic differences between yours and mine both for the benefit of myself and anyone else that comes here to learn how to build a drum.

I think there are two answers.

The first is the fact that I use only lump charcoal.

I think the second is that there are 6 holes with metal plugs in them around the base of my drum (like a BDS) and I think they may not quite be totally air tight. I do think the type of fuel is the biggest part though.

I was trying to figure out why you neded so much air inlet in order to come up to temp.
    I have lit the smoker a few times now and have never had that problem except for a SNAFU the very first time. It has worked great ever since that first time until Friday.

I think that the smoker was over loaded and as you mentioned the meat was probably still cold.

I'm certainly no t questioning how you designed or burn your drum, I'm just trying to figure out the drastic differences between yours and mine both for the benefit of myself and anyone else that comes here to learn how to build a drum.
    I am!!!

My intakes are 1" below the bottom of the charcoal basket. I wonder if I should had made them lower?
    Chuck

Q Joint Plank Owner.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5