Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 26

6 members and 20 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Duo w/SFB as stick burner?

Anybody around here have any experience using the CG SFB units as a stick burner? Between the drums and the Weber, the CG just sits. I want to try a brisket or two on it, but am too lazy/spoiled by the drums to babysit it and check it every 30 minutes. Maybe using wood instead of charcoal will take less oversight?

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    UDS #2
    RUDS #3
    Weber one-touch
    Magic Chef fridge smoker

You can use it as a stick burner, I have. My splits are about 10-12 inches long and vary in thickness from 1 1/2" to 3". It will take about the same amount of tending though.

I do the same thing...get it started with a chimney full and throw a stick on every half hour to an hour...same babysitting, but the food is great when it comes off a stickburner.
    ~Brian~
    BBQ Jones comp team
    KCBS Member
    KCBS CBJ

Go buy a couple cans of VHT header paint at O'Reilly's (not cheap, but you get what you pay for). After it cools down wire brush the SFB really well where the paint used to be and repaint with the VHT. Follow the instructions on the can. It's good to 1200.

My neighbor burns splits in his CharGriller SFB and it works for him.
    Keep the ash cleaned out after every use or it will rust through the bottom shortly.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    Anybody around here have any experience using the CG SFB units as a stick burner? Between the drums and the Weber, the CG just sits. I want to try a brisket or two on it, but am too lazy/spoiled by the drums to babysit it and check it every 30 minutes. Maybe using wood instead of charcoal will take less oversight?

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Nope.

If you want less oversight, build a charcoal basket, fill it, light one side and do a progressive burn.

I think the bottom line is that a Chargriller is kind of "entry grade" equipment.

You graduated to professional backyard grade when you built your drum.

I tried everything in my CG. What I found burning wood was that I would get high temps that I was looking for but I could never get the TBS I was looking for. Now that I have a much larger better built stickburner I know why.

Burnin logs in offsets requires good airflow and with the size/configuration and whatever mods were done on the CGer I didnt get good enuff airflow to burn logs. my
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

I have an old Bandera that I have always used as a stick burner; charcoal to get it started and then hickory sticks. I have just put a new fire box on it because the original was really too small for wood so it took lots of tending. 15 years ago I liked tending it better than I do now. The cooking box on the Bandera is just right. Also, I think that the spot where the smoke and heat flowed out of the firebox into the cooking chamber wass too low on the firebox so you cook use ti like a charcoaler to grill a steak. I put a big baffle in it to even out the temps. I've got to put some Thurmalox paint on it on Friday and cook on it this weekend. I'm sure that the bigger, deeper box will make a difference.