» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 22

0 members and 22 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Pork Cushion for Bacon any good????

hey everyone went to the store earlier and found these pork cushion on sale bought 4 of them and wonder if i could use these for some BBB ....kinda like to know what you all think and also these things are injected with 12% salt solution what kind of ratio of tenderquick do you think i need to cure these.....also 2 of them will be for pulled pork on saturday ......

also while i was at the store they had the weber seasoning salt on sale for .88 cents so i bought 3 of them....also picked up another commerical rub made here in oklahoma taste test is really good and i think it would give head country rub a run for its money here has anyone ever heard or seen this brand in your stores in oklahoma or texas.....

Oklahoma City
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum

I have never seen a pork cushion roast.Keep us posted.
    Paul

CBBQA
    18.5 Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
    22.5 Weber One Touch
    Ugly Drum

The tenderquick book does not recommend starting with pre-salted meats. Problem cited is that the salt content already present in the meat will inhibit the tenderquick from penetrating (Salt equalization).
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

Quote Originally Posted by O B City View Post
    The tenderquick book does not recommend starting with pre-salted meats. Problem cited is that the salt content already present in the meat will inhibit the tenderquick from penetrating (Salt equalization).

so should i use pink salt , i do have some of that...
    Oklahoma City
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum

Doc I suppose you could use the cushion, but after thinking about what OBC said, he's right about the hindering the osmosis effect with it prebrined. I suppose you could try soaking the meat in fresh water, changing often, before trying the BBB gig with it. I'm afraid what you would have then is just a soggy/mushy piece of pork. I would recommend skipping this cut and go for a fresh, untampered with, cut - especially if it is your first attempt at BBB (I don't know, you didn't say)
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Doc I suppose you could use the cushion, but after thinking about what OBC said, he's right about the hindering the osmosis effect with it prebrined. I suppose you could try soaking the meat in fresh water, changing often, before trying the BBB gig with it. I'm afraid what you would have then is just a soggy/mushy piece of pork. I would recommend skipping this cut and go for a fresh, untampered with, cut - especially if it is your first attempt at BBB (I don't know, you didn't say)
    thanks PC but i have done BBB before just saw these on sale and said what the heck ones i have always done never had that amount of a salt solution in it so i think the reasoning for these with that much is if you notice they seem to market this for the crock pot...but i will give it a try and soak them get as much out and then maybe do this with some pink salt....
    Oklahoma City
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum