Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 29

4 members and 25 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Green Mesquite BBQ

The Green Mesquite has two locations as of this writing, I visted the Barton Springs location (which I think is the original).

The Green Mesquite is in a restaurant enriched part of town, I had to park almost two blocks away as they only have half as many parking spots as tables. The staff is great, and in the prime dinner hour I was there over 100 plates came through this 3 1/2 foot window. The one guy working the pit, and another fixing the plates were both jumping the whole hour.

I ordered the three meat combo , Brisket, Sausage, and Spares. Tater salad and beans complete the package. Price was one of the lowest of this group so far, $11.36 tax included. The brisket was succulent and had a nice rub burned onto it,Cut into almost 1/2" thick slices. The ribs were juicy at the big ends but not so much at the lil ends, one weird thing is the membrane was still on it. The link of sausage was perfect. The ketchup based sauce served on the side was unnecessary, but complemented the rubs/sausage spices nicely if used and had some zing.

I think the potato salad was my recipe. It tasted nearly exactly to mine, with horseradish and sour cream flavors floating through it. The beans were tasty, but I left some in favor of finishing everything else. Next time I come to Austin I am making a bee-line for this place.
    Ribs:
    Brisket:
    Sausage:
    Sides:
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

me and my wife went there the day before the longhorns played the dead raiders. it was my birthday so she took me to the game and a night out on sixth street. i thought it was pretty good. the ribs and sausage were excellent. i found that the brisket was not as good as i had heard. like said, the sauce was not really needed, as i did not like it that much. the beans were fabulous and the tater salad was delicious. would definitely do this place again, just might not get the brisket the next time.

Chayne, thanx for the review!

OB, I sure do miss your Q Joint reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    OB, I sure do miss your Q Joint reviews!
    Ya I have not been travelling as much lately, as I am in a different position at work than before. I kinda miss it too!
    I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

Great review!

One of the Green Mesquite places was on DDD the other day. They actually do use green mesquite. Anybody else try green mesquite? The owner said it was great to smoke with but rough on the smokers.
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

I've cooked with relatively green mesquite and I can't tell much difference between it and seasoned mesquite.

i actually could tell a difference in the green mesquite. i mostly smoke around here with mesquite. i saw that episode on DDD, and that is one reason why we went there. i thought that the green mesquite gave it a funny taste to the brisket. but the other meats i ate i thought it was actually pretty good.