usbbqsupply

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 19

6 members and 13 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default Summer Sausage and taste

So far I have only fixed venison summer sausage in the oven and it was good. I have not been able to fix any in a smoker yet because of the low starting temperature. For those of you that have been able to smoke the summer sausage is there a big difference in the taste of summer sausage that is smoked and that which is fixed in the oven?

Bones

Never did any in the oven, so can't say. Whats your concerns with temps? The biggest problem usually is you don't want the internal to go over about 155F. It wont ruin your sausage, but your fat starts to melt, and can make things a bit greasy.
    22 inch weber
    20 cubic foot homebuilt smoker
    turkey fryer
    coleman stove
    If it burns, I can cook with it.

Chef, I think he is referring to the initial cold smoke recommended in most smoked summer sausage recipes. The problem is that it is difficult to hold the low temps called for in a wood or charcoal fired smoker.

I would say that there is a difference in the flavor due to the lack of smoke in your oven. You could add liquid smoke to your mix, but it won't taste quite the same as genuine smoke.

IMHO, this would be an excellent use for the Smoke Pistol that I have been playing with.

Bones
    get after that smoker and you will find out the difference for yourself like i said before once you get your smoker set up you will be making some of the best sausages you have ever tasted and the best thing about making sausage is it always seems to get better and better the more you do the better it gets

Piker is offline Allowed to bring in wood for The Pit Piker is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Smoking summer sausage

I have done it both ways and can hardly tell the difference. I use 3 hrs. of smoke below 170F and just finish to an i.t. of 152f. Do I need to smoke longer? To be honest I have not done much smoked stuff and I am gradually building up to increases the smoke times. I have OBS with a p.i.d. controller and its quite easy to control the temp. Piker