Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 151

1 members and 150 guests
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,108
Threads: 14,364
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao

Default My UDS Build - Issues

Well, I went out in the garage last night and started cutting into one of the 2 barrels I got. Both are unlined motor oil drums with closed tops.

My plan was to make something along the lines of the topper made by Tomshoots.

And now the issues.

I used my jigsaw to cut on the center of the first flare. The problem is that when cut, the center of the flare measures roughly 22 1/2" and the outside edge of the 2nd drum top measures 23". I tried massaging the metal out and can get close but can not get it out that far. These drums are from the same manufacturer and both tops measure exactly the same.

My thoughts are as follows.
    1) I could cut the flare completely off and have it sit on the inside of the lid.
    2) I could keep hunting for a Weber Lid (this has not worked well thus far).
    3) I could just take a grinder to the outside edge and have no raised lid at all.
    4) I could cut the lid out, grind down the edges. Take a piece of metal and weld it to the inner lip. Cut the flare of the 2nd lid and it would sit down on the bead over the metal. (I think someone just did something like this.)

Disgusted with it at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Pics would probably help but I didn't take any tonight.

Thanks,
    JR

Well, I think I have a solution to my problem, just have not had any time to work on it. I bought a cheap grill from Walmart and am going to use the lid after a little massaging. Pics and stuff to come, hopefully this weekend. I will start a new thread though.

JR

If this helps, I cut 1" down from the flare on the top of the drum, filed everything down and had my friend weld an 1/8" thick by 2" wide band all the way around the lid tacking it every 4/5 inches to the flare edge and tacking the seam of the band. A little massaging and the thing fits like a glove.
    MEMBER: BERGIE BBQ team 2011, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by VvvJRvvV View Post
    Well, I went out in the garage last night and started cutting into one of the 2 barrels I got. Both are unlined motor oil drums with closed tops.

My plan was to make something along the lines of the topper made by Tomshoots.

And now the issues.

I used my jigsaw to cut on the center of the first flare. The problem is that when cut, the center of the flare measures roughly 22 1/2" and the outside edge of the 2nd drum top measures 23". I tried massaging the metal out and can get close but can not get it out that far. These drums are from the same manufacturer and both tops measure exactly the same.

My thoughts are as follows.
    1) I could cut the flare completely off and have it sit on the inside of the lid.
    2) I could keep hunting for a Weber Lid (this has not worked well thus far).
    3) I could just take a grinder to the outside edge and have no raised lid at all.
    4) I could cut the lid out, grind down the edges. Take a piece of metal and weld it to the inner lip. Cut the flare of the 2nd lid and it would sit down on the bead over the metal. (I think someone just did something like this.)

Disgusted with it at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Pics would probably help but I didn't take any tonight.

Thanks,
    JR
    Well, I think I have a solution to my problem, just have not had any time to work on it. I bought a cheap grill from Walmart and am going to use the lid after a little massaging. Pics and stuff to come, hopefully this weekend. I will start a new thread though.

JR
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially if you are trying to make something I recommended. My drums have a very thin band/lip around the top and bottom. Any cuts in the middle of the flair fit just dandy for me. You might try measuring the bottom to see if it's any smaller than the top. If so, you could use a bottom for a top. But then you would need to improvise for an exhaust vent. Of course your cheapo Wal Mart top could also be a solution.

Either way, I wish you luck my friend. Show us some pics!
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Vicking grill

First cook on my UDS. I cooked roadside chicken. I posted that in a seperate thread.

First is the cooker. With my custom lid hold down. I will be trying to figure out a way to hold this down without the cooler and bungee cord later. I installed a gasket for the lid today, the temps last night were un-controllable. I could not get them down below 300, with everything closed. With the gasket in place and the lid held down, I could run the temps anywhere I wanted with a little adjustment.

Here it is chugging along at 275.

In this pic, you can see the gasket. It will have to be maintained, it didn't hold up to me hitting it...

A few lessons learned and things I have to fix.

- The nipples with conduit locknuts will just not do. They will be welded in before the next cook.
    - I have to make a hold down for the lid. Next drum, I will carry the lid with me before I get the drum.
    - It's really ugly at the moment. A little welding to do on it and I will paint it up.
    - The top rack that comes with the Uniflame grill. I tried putting it in, however, it needs some adjustments. The old holes will have to be welded in.
    - It is important to make this thing as air tight as possible. The more air-tight it is, the easier it is to control your cook.
    - Metal is sharp, I have cuts all over the place from when I was putting this thing together. Wear gloves.
    - This is getting too long to read...

Food turned out great, really glad I found this place. Thanks to everyone here.

JR

I don't remember from your chicken thread. Did you keep the hinges functional? Maybe a hasp type hold down. Glad to see you didn't give up on this project. Keep the pics coming as you work out your problems. Future drum builders need your experiences.
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

JR

I had to use washers to space the upper hinge back a little, so they would function properly and the lid would lay flat.

Tim

Yes, the lid is functional. Unlike, MTMouse's, my lid was almost a full 1/2" too small. I will try to get a better picture of it. But, I had to do a lot of massaging on mine to get it to fit. I used 1/4-20" to mount the lid instead of the supplied nuts and bolts. A few nuts for spacers and it seemed to work ok. MTMouse, if you get a chance try to measure out how far you drilled the holes for your accessory grill. Everywhere I seem to put it makes the accessory grill almost touch the top grill.

The lid really does not sit off of the top that bad. With the new gasket, it may sit up 1/32" of an inch. After the problems I had Saturday night, I wasn't taking any chances so I pulled the lid down, taking out any play it may have had.

I have been looking at a few latches to mount to it. I haven't found anything that I think will work yet.

On another note, I hope to get my nipples welded in this week. (LOL, that just sounds funny.)

JR

. MTMouse, if you get a chance try to measure out how far you drilled the holes for your accessory grill. Everywhere I seem to put it makes the accessory grill almost touch the top grill.

JR
    The holes are 1/2" down from the lip.

This is #2 for me. My older brother took delivery of his last week. Just waiting for my younger brother to supply the sacrificial bbg from Walmart to finish his.