» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 38

0 members and 38 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie

Default Smoke - EZ kettle grill to smoker conversion

I got my Smoke - EZ box via UPS just before I left on vacation for a week, got back last night and decided to set it up even though the restoration of the Kettle grill it is going on is not complete. This kettle grill is a Sunbeam circa 1988 or therabouts. They don't make them anymore.

After 10 min of minor assembly (Handles and grill tabs) I came away impressed with the close tolerances and attention to detail on the bracketry. The kit comes with a new center section that goes in between your kettle grill bottom and lid, and a hanging rack. It does not come with grate(s) or the thermometer shown here, I bought new ones of those at WalMart. This one is less featured than the Cajun Bandit that does the same job, in that it does not have an access door to maintain the fire and water pan, or a new set of legs to lower the kettle towards the ground. Since I am starting with a kettle grill that has a four-legged base I am not worried about instability at the original height, and the lack of an acess door just means less air leaks so in my case the Smoke-EZ was the better choice.

After assembly, Step one is to put the fire ring onto the original coal grate.

Then put the water bowl into the fire ring.

Add water to the bowl and light with the Minion method.

Add the center section. The grill tabs can be seen clearly here. This thing fits my Sunbeam kettle like a glove, I actually have to give it a few taps with the heel of my hand to "seat" it. No air leaks here.

Here is a nifty feature of the kit, a hanging rack. You can get bacaon hangers from Amazon to smoke 4 slabs of bacon in this thing. I imagine you could also hang fish or even racks of ribs.

It does not come with a thermometer, but does come with a predrilled hole that this one happened to fit in. The hole is right below the upper grate position.

And here it is all together and smoking. I started the fire at 9am, and at 6PM it is still holding 250 degrees. It took a few hours of vent fiddling to get the temp down but it has been holding a steady 250 for several hours now.

I am in shape. Round is a shape.
    I LOVE vegetarians! They come in Chicken, Pork, and Beef flavors!

SmokyOkie Guest

Looks like a nice unit OB.

Any idea why the handle says low on it?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Looks like a nice unit OB.

Any idea why the handle says low on it?
    and my guess is the other handle says slow on it. What does that unit cost?
    Weber 26.75 OTG,Weber 22.5 Blue Performer, Weber 22.5 OTG with Weber Rotisserie, UDS, 18.5 " WSM,Weber Jumbo Joe

John

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin99 View Post
    and my guess is the other handle says slow on it.
    Winnner winner! Chicken Dinner!

On handle says "Low", the other says "Slow".

Part of the purchase agreement is to not reveal the price publicly, I will gladly tell anyone that sends me a PM.

By the way I used 8.3 pounds of Kingsford "original" and got 10 hours of solid consistent burn time. Is that reasonable? I had good smoke for about 8 of that.

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting pics of your setup!

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone actually use (or post) the Smoke EZ.

I've been using the Cajun Bandit for a year now and from the looks of your setup I could do the same firing with mine. Looking forward to seeing how the meat turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
    Thanks for posting pics of your setup!

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone actually use (or post) the Smoke EZ.

I've been using the Cajun Bandit for a year now and from the looks of your setup I could do the same firing with mine. Looking forward to seeing how the meat turned out.
    Oh there have been many many cooks since this was first posted. I have the vents tweaked now so that it goes to 225 in 5 minutes when I first fire it, and stays there for 9 hours + or - 5 degrees. With the fire ring set up, you don't need the access door that the Bandit has (part of my purchase decision). The big advantage the Cajun Bandit has is the legs. I see on your setup it is on a performer so it is up higher instead of using the Cajun bandit shorty legs. There can be challenges in cooking that high up, at least at my age.

swamprb is offline Can tell pulled pork from sliced brisket swamprb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by O B City View Post
    Oh there have been many many cooks since this was first posted. I have the vents tweaked now so that it goes to 225 in 5 minutes when I first fire it, and stays there for 9 hours + or - 5 degrees. With the fire ring set up, you don't need the access door that the Bandit has (part of my purchase decision). The big advantage the Cajun Bandit has is the legs. I see on your setup it is on a performer so it is up higher instead of using the Cajun bandit shorty legs. There can be challenges in cooking that high up, at least at my age.
    I've been using the Cajun Bandit kettle conversion with a Weber OTG and it is shorter than on the Performer and much easier to use a rotis with. I'm 6'2" and it could be a challenge for some folks.