» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 17

0 members and 17 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

I'm pretty sure what Stuart(cook shack pres.) gave to try was what he turned in.

But like Russ(cook shack mod) The elks have a little different taste.
    Do we know if there will be KCBS judges in claremore?

(strictly person opinion)
    The chicken during the dry run was sooo juicy! It was really good.
    I thought the skin was little strong but I don't think jerk is right for me.
    I still ate the skin though.

The comp chicken wasn't near as juicy The skin had a lighter taste (better) but the meat was too strong.
    (end opinion)

I think the pork would have done better if it was done. we had to pull what we could just to get a turn in.

I'm still baffled about the beans. Are you suppose to place a piece of parsley on top of the beans?
    Or were they expecting some van de camps?
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

Actually, I've talked to several seasoned compers that all say the same thing. "If it ain't salty, it won't win"

In KCBS what kind of beans do you cook? Dry pintos?

I haven't ever cooked a KCBS event, we cook LSBS & IBCA, they are dry pinto entries only.
    Yellow Dog BBQ Team
    Gator Predator
    When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Although this was a KCBS comp, the beans were a side contest. Kcbs only does the 4 basic meats.

I don't know what won but I do know there was a Mexican team there and they assuredly did pintos. We did canned , doctored Bush's with a lot of meat in them. They were great, and everybody that came by and tasted them thought so, but the judges though about half the other entries were better. We did beat the Mexicans thought! (I thought it was great to "out bean the beaners)

I'm assuming that some sort of pintos won. While I like good meaty pintos, they never struck me as having anything to do with BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Well, we didn't get DQed but we did get taken to school. We made some serious mistakes, but moreover we learned what comps are really all about and i'm here to tell you that the only way to learn is to enter one. I don't care how much you read, how much you search the web, or how many compers or KCBS jucdges you can confer with, you have to do it to learn ( and yes Steve, we were, and prolly still are rookies).

we ended up 44 out of 49 as I recall.

We had a respectable score in Brisket for a first time crew (if we hadn't made the mistakes we made, I think we would've had a chance of getting a call)

Nothing else but the "anything but" contest got a respectable score, but with the mistakes we made, I really didn't expect to do even as well as we did.

Good cooks, poor performance, lack of understanding of exactly what our goals should've been all contributed to our poor performance.

if we had submitted the Q we produced the week before at out practice run we would've done much better.

I don't want to sound like I'm crying about poor judging, in fact, I'm not blaming the judges at all, but I do think they shouuld've let us know that instead of KCBS certified judges, we were being judged by the local Elks members. It's not that we would've scored any better ( we didn't produce as good of food as we were capable of), it's just that if we had real judges, at least we would've emerged with bona fide knowledge of what KCBS judges want in their Q.

I'm (I'm sure we all are) worn out right now, its past dinner time, and then I'll be off to bed. Scores, details, pix and all we be posted in the next few days.

As it stands right now, with what I know about Q comps, I don't really think I care to participate in the future. I think I would much prefer to just go and hang out in the future. That may well change when I recover from my current exhaustion.
    Good read .I may do a comp or two myself and see what turns out .Agree on the go for it method .Never know whats gonna happen .
    LOve to grill and eat .
    The balck oval primos x tr lrg
    Steve

4% of something that tastes like nothing is probably not needed.

It wouldn't hurt to find a team that will let you hang with them and learn some basics.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5