Backwoodsok

» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 12

1 members and 11 guests
Most users ever online was 459, 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

» Stats

Members: 3,109
Threads: 14,363
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, Mienshao
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    Significant others?
    Elks gals?
    Comp. groupies? (I hear they are relentless)
    Overly drunken bar ****s. One of them was so drunk that she even came up and started rubbing her special parts on ME! Now that's drunk!

Hahahaha Okie got Fluffy
    Plank Owner ..................
    I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    Overly drunken bar ****s. One of them was so drunk that she even came up and started rubbing her special parts on ME! Now that's drunk!
    Big deal........you were rubbing your special parts on the rest of us......was it the scotch?

~runnin' and duckin'~
    Kev
    GOSM 3405
    UDS - One of a set of twins
    Custom Stick Burner - "Latifah".....(yeah, she's big and beautiful)
    Certified KCBS Judge

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    -Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by BA_LoKo View Post
    Big deal........you were rubbing your special parts on the rest of us......was it the scotch?

~runnin' and duckin'~
    Run and duck

Why do I never find these women? I always find the ones packin' mace!

Run and duck
    Kev's gettin' a beatin'! Who brought the popcorn?
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Default Stillwater disaster mistakes part I: Brisket

this is the first in my category by category analysis of mistakes we made that caused our poor performance.

The brisket was the best of the 4 categories. We scored mostly 8sw and 9s on flavor. We lost out on appearance and texture.

It seems that where the method calls for 2 hours fat side up w/n smoke followed by 1 hour fat side down, followed by fat side up and foil until done, the briskets were in fact foiled, but were not in fact flipped. As a result, all the best part of the brisket was extremely dried out. Out of 30# of brisket, we had to scramble to find enough point meat to fill a turn in box.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, but rather taking notice that the time to flip and foil occurred @ the changing of the guard when the night shift was getting ready to go to bed and the day shift was just getting up. Neither shift was very alert and the mistake took place.

I'm considering that possibly next time we should cook the briskets before going to bed on Friday and worrying about reheating the next day.

I thinnk I also figured out that plain ol "best tasting brisket ya ever had" won't win comps. I think it has to do with the fact that the judges are taking just one bite of 50 or 60 different briskets. As a result the deep beefy flavor that we all love becomes somewhat of an undercurrent.

I've heard it said that when it comes to brisket, if it isn't salty, it won't win. Next time we'll salt the he!! out of it and see what happens. I also have a rub insertion concept that I think might play well.

Looks like you're taking on a winning attitude the right way. Play, analyze, adjust, and give it another try. I wish I had the schedule to hang with ya'll ... I kinda got the night shift thing figured out.

Winners are winners because they've overcome the challenges of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PigCicles View Post
    Looks like you're taking on a winning attitude the right way. Play, analyze, adjust, and give it another try. I wish I had the schedule to hang with ya'll ... I kinda got the night shift thing figured out.

Winners are winners because they've overcome the challenges of the day.
    Remember though, a man needs to decide which hills are worth fighting for through his own prespective.

In the meantime, the next comp is @ Will rogers Downs, Claremore, Okla., may 16th and 17th. Join the team if you like, it's on;y an hour from your house.

Just checked the current schedule. It appears I'm working nights that weekend. Not sure if anyone has vacation scheduled that week or not. I'll let ya know.

Default Stillwater disaster mistakes part II: Ribs

Ribs... How do you present ribs to those who have seen almost everything?

I thought that we might try to wow them with some baby backs that still had a lot of meat on them. WRONG! They've all seen that before.

Also by using this custom cut (about 3" of meat on them), I didn't allow enough time for them to cook fully. I mean they were done, but not as tender as we would've liked.

Rule #x: Don't cook an unfamiliar cut, and don't try to show the judges something new. It appears to me that what you have to do is to do the same thing as everyone else, only better, and make yours stand out at the same time. Which brings me to the next rule...

Sauce. I don't know why, but every entry that placed had sauce glazed on them. This is a tough thing for me, because in this part of the country, it borders on blasphemy to serve pre- sauced ribs. Ribs as we know them are served with sauce on the side (sometimes more than one choice of sauces). I have glazed sauce on BBs before, and I guess I will do that @ my next (should there be one) competition.

The ribs we served were good, just not as good as they could've been, not as good as we could've done, and definitely not as good as some of the other competitors turned in. I have no problem with our score on ribs, we (could be mostly I) just screwed it up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast