» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 54

0 members and 54 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    SmokyOkie Guest

Default 1st TQJ Team Comp Disaster

Well, we didn't get DQed but we did get taken to school. We made some serious mistakes, but moreover we learned what comps are really all about and i'm here to tell you that the only way to learn is to enter one. I don't care how much you read, how much you search the web, or how many compers or KCBS jucdges you can confer with, you have to do it to learn ( and yes Steve, we were, and prolly still are rookies).

we ended up 44 out of 49 as I recall.

We had a respectable score in Brisket for a first time crew (if we hadn't made the mistakes we made, I think we would've had a chance of getting a call)

Nothing else but the "anything but" contest got a respectable score, but with the mistakes we made, I really didn't expect to do even as well as we did.

Good cooks, poor performance, lack of understanding of exactly what our goals should've been all contributed to our poor performance.

if we had submitted the Q we produced the week before at out practice run we would've done much better.

I don't want to sound like I'm crying about poor judging, in fact, I'm not blaming the judges at all, but I do think they shouuld've let us know that instead of KCBS certified judges, we were being judged by the local Elks members. It's not that we would've scored any better ( we didn't produce as good of food as we were capable of), it's just that if we had real judges, at least we would've emerged with bona fide knowledge of what KCBS judges want in their Q.

I'm (I'm sure we all are) worn out right now, its past dinner time, and then I'll be off to bed. Scores, details, pix and all we be posted in the next few days.

As it stands right now, with what I know about Q comps, I don't really think I care to participate in the future. I think I would much prefer to just go and hang out in the future. That may well change when I recover from my current exhaustion.
    Last edited by SmokyOkie; 04-06-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Sorta like I always say about judging - It ain't as easy as it looks.
    Your eyes are open now.
    I'd like to see you guys try another comp., a KCBS State Championship comp. Not a BIG one, a small one.
    "If you can't smell smoke it ain't a barbeque joint" peculiarmike

TQJ Plankowner

"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    - John Wayne

Any comp is good experience, if you relized you made mistakes, then you have learned from it that will make you better. I personaly cook/ produce differnt Q for KCBS than i do for the "Localy" events. When i do the localy event i turn in some thing the would send a diabetic into shock, they(judges) will expect something sweet, thats all they have ever had and the KCBS you need good meat flavor and balanced rubs/glazes/sauces.
    Get registerd for another, and hit it again, it gets to be more fun at each you do, you know what your doing, now show them.
    Hope The Smoke Don't Clear

My Food WAS a vegetarian

Going in knowing that comp is different than Backyard Q, I didn't expect much. With it being first comp, I didn't expect to win.
    I knew it was going to be a great experience and we were going to learn allot.
    Stuart One the presidents from cook shack was next to us and was really helpful in so many aspects. Great guy even if his second place brisket was dry and salty. Even he said what he serves to his family and friends is different theen what he turns in for comp.
    We made some mistakes here and there but who doesn't? Everything that was prepared was editable.

Theory
    I think the next comp each team member should be assigned a category from start to finish.
    Each member should be responsible for Recipe and process of there category.
    I think that will give more of a dexterity of cooking styles all into one team.

As a team we all pitched in and had a hand in every category and that worked well.
    We worked well together and we looked like we knew what we were doing.
    We were definitely the sharpest dressed bunch and I was the best looking
    guy at the whole comp.(hee hee)

Overall
    I believe the experience was far from a disaster. We learned some good things, met some great people and manged to consume large amounts of beer! Not while cooking of course.
    We were up against teams that has done this for years. Knowledge doesn't always account for experience.
    Yea we could have done better but, we could have done worse too.
    I'm a dive in head first kinda guy and that's what we did. I can't wait to do another one. I think I finally figured out what to do when I retire.

We didn't get a lot of pics so we were so busy and exhausted.
    But here are a few.

Last edited by glued2it; 04-09-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

Reguardless of the scores, it looks like you had fun, and that's all that matters.
    Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Doc Holliday: You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

http://gunrunnersqincrew.blogspot.com/

SmokyOkie Guest

Default My take

If anyone happened to notice, SmokyOkie was nowhere to be found in the after party pix. Where do you suppose he might've been? Rumor has it that he was somewhere looking for judge #3.

I would like to share my take on mistakes made and lessons learned. I don't have time to go over everything at once, and I don't want to bore everybody with one long post either, so what I"ll do is present an overview from my perspective, and then follow up later with my take on each individual category.

OVERVIEW:

Competition food and home, or even restaurant food are two different things.

One should always remember that each judge will only take one bite of each meat, so you only have one chance to wow them. If they take the wrong bite, you're SOL. One should probably season each meat much more heavily than they would if they were going to make a meal of it. If what you turn in is so highly seasoned that you couldn't stand to eat a whole portion of it, that's OK.

Sauce, Sauce, Sauce. Pretty much everything that won at our comp was absolutely slathered in layers of sauce as I understand it. This is difficult for me because in this part of the country it is very close to blasphemy to serve pre-sauced meat. Were I to evter another competition, I would have to work on my saucing technique.

The biggest two mistakes we made were as follows:
    1) We tried to show the judges something different. You know, something they hadn't seen before, but something undeniably very tasty. We should've stayed with the traditional stuff. (this is also difficult for me being as, to me, creativity is the most important part of culinary excellence. This appears to be a cardinal sin here.)

2) Timing. Both our pork and our rib entires were started too late, and we tried to leave a two to two and a half hour window for fudge factor. It wasn't enough. If we were to do it again, I would invest in a Cambro, or some other high performance holding device and plan to have everything done 3 to 4 hours before turn in or maybe even longer.

That's my overview, and about all I have time for for now. Over the next few days I will break everything down by category and share what what happened with each of our entries in hopes that this may prevent otheres from making the same mistakes that we did.

Quote Originally Posted by glued2it View Post

Dangdest turn-in box I've every seen.

Thanks for the pics, Jeremy!

Tim, can't wait for the individual catagory posts.

Great points! I really hope y'all try another comp or 2 to get things smoothed out a bit before calling it quits. Can't let the TQJ team go 1-and-done. Got enough of that with the Dallas Cowboys, donchuno.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

SmokyOkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    Dangdest turn-in box I've every seen.

Thanks for the pics, Jeremy!

Tim, can't wait for the individual catagory posts.

Great points! I really hope y'all try another comp or 2 to get things smoothed out a bit before calling it quits. Can't let the TQJ team go 1-and-done. Got enough of that with the Dallas Cowboys, donchuno.
    Our "Anything Butt" entry prolly would've scored better if we'd turned those in instead. We turned in a Cajun Pork loin pinwheel that was perfect in execution as well as in composition. Glued2it has pix, and I'll see if I can get him to post them It was definitely gourmet stuff, but ribeye steak and bacon wrapped shrimp won and we placed 4th. I was under the assumption that culinary skill entered into the equation, but I was mis-informed. I really wish we hadn't expended the time and effort for it. At the risk of sounding like sour grapes. I still feel as though it was a bit of casting pearls before swine. If you do a comp, remember, don't show the judges anything they haven't seen before. They don't seem to like that. I since learned that "Anything Butt" contests are more of an attempt to regale the judges as opposed to demonstrating skill. Serve them well prepared filet and lobster and you'll probably win. I heard it said that to win the AB, you have to spend $100 to win $75, and I now believe that's true. I'll never enter another one.

As to doing another comp, I only did this one so that I could say I did one, and so that I would know whether or not I was talking out of school when I enumerated the reasons why I didn't want to do comps.

The reasons that I don't do comps are expenditure of time and money, lack of sleep and the fact that I don't have anything toprove to anyone. Since my recent experience, I can add to the list that the size of the reward is in too close proximity to the costs involved, and that the structure stifles culinary creativity.

If I didn't already have too many expensive hobbies, I might consider doing some, but not until they start having turn ins in the evening. I guess I'm too old to even stay up all night to have sex, so I'm sure not going to stay up all night just to cook BBQ.

I also fell as though as many years as I've soent learning how to cook good BBQ, I don't want to relearn just so that I know how to cook "competition food"

Perhaps you might want to enter a comp under the name of The Joint.

I really don't want to take anything away from the competition warriors in the crowd. They are for the most part very skilled at their game, and deserve respect for what they do. It's just not my game. I don't play football either, but I did when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    As to doing another comp, I only did this one so that I could say I did one, and so that I would know whether or not I was talking out of school when I enumerated the reasons why I didn't want to do comps. ...

Perhaps you might want to enter a comp under the name of The Joint.
    No worries. I completely understand. I've just always been told to try something new at least 3 times to make sure you didn't like it. I don't want y'all to have a bad experience and think they're all that way. That said, I completely understand and respect your reasons. Especially since you're the (n)th person to tell me that.

Thanks for the advice on how to cook for the judges.

As for entering under The Joint, I'm afraid we already have a name picked out. Thanks just the same, though.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Thanks for the thread, and insight. The pics were cool too. Not really understanding having pizza at a BBQ comp, but maybe everyones food was bad!

Its interesting to hear the different perspectives of the event.
    I am about to dabble in the same thing soon, starting out slow and working my way up to .....slow!

No trying to dazzle anyone , probably won't even spend the money on matchingBBQ shirts/hats. Just going for the experience, the fun and fellowship, and the chicks!. I heard them comp groupies are hardcore!
    The voices in my head are
    medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
    Bubba-Built UDS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast