» Support TQJ

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 39

0 members and 39 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,553, 02-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

» Stats

Members: 969
Threads: 14,365
Top Poster: PigCicles (10,055)
Welcome to our newest member, SmokyOkie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's define FATTY

To me a FATTY is a chub or roll of breakfast sausage, such as Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans, whatever flavor you prefer, that has been cooked by smoking low & slow in a smoker.
    That is the pure definition, a TRUE FATTY, the way it was first done.

Then, folks started adding things. Now, if you add something, anything, it is no longer a TRUE FATTY. It has become a STUFFED FATTY. Or a fatty with added ingredients. We've seen some "fattys" posted that had more added stuff than there was sausage in them. Folks, that is NOT a fatty.

So I guess my point is - lets call it what it is.
    A fatty is a fatty as long as it is pure smoked sausage.
    If anything is added it becomes a "stuffed fatty".
    That's my $.02. c@
    The other fatboy

c@ is right. Damn, you hit a hot button of mine. Gonna make this fat boy get on his soapbox, aint cha? My $.02 below. Strictly my opinions only. Anyone have problems with that, feel free to PM me.

To me, "fatty" means a sausage roll, either plain or stuffed, cooked indirect or smoked. I come by this definition 3 ways.
    1. I haven't seen many "true fatties" on any of the forums I've visited. The majority of fatties have been stuffed.
    2. Any time folks have asked about fatties, they've never been told "It's a smoked sausage chub." They've been told "It's a sausage chub, plain or stuffed, cooked on a smoker."
    And 3. When I did a fatty this sumer, I did a stuffed one, wrapped in bacon, cooked indirect on my kettle. Worked great, good flavor and texture, with a good amount of smoke. When I'm told something is "better than sex" by the women I cooked for, either I'm doing something right or all the guys were doing something wrong. I prefer to think it's something right.

IMO, coming from my limited backyard cooker perspective, a strict definition like that will a) keep new folks nervous about this place, and b) serve to make us look like elitist snobs, intended or not. When we need to define something this strictly, outside of a competition setting, it raises my hackles. I've had someone argue that I wasn't "really 'cueing" because it was my kettle, not a "real" smoker. Someone else defined real 'cue as only coming from a stick burner "cause *real* 'cuers use all wood fires". Strictly for me, I'll never tell anyone "That's not right, because of ___." I'd rather build someone up and tell em "Great job, knew you could do it! Next time, maybe you could try ___."

OK, sorry, back to fatties. I can go along with "stuffed fatty" versus "fatty", bacause they make some sense, but I'll tell you right now I'm not gonna spend keyboard time telling someone "No no, that's a STUFFED fatty, not a PLAIN fatty." Life's too short, and it doesn't add to anyone's enjoyment of this forum, or live-fire cooking in general.

OK, Rant Mode off. If I'm out of line, let me know. Thoughtful PMs or posts, agreeing or disagreeing, accepted gratis. Rants of "You ____!!" must be accompanied by a $10 bill. Each curse word is an additional $5.

Less than a week and I'm already going up with an administrator. New record for this place.
    Last edited by TX Sandman; 01-20-2008 at 02:41 AM.
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    c@ is right. Damn, you hit a hot button of mine. Gonna make this fat boy get on his soapbox, aint cha? My $.02 below. Strictly my opinions only. Anyone have problems with that, feel free to PM me.

To me, "fatty" means a sausage roll, either plain or stuffed, cooked indirect or smoked. I come by this definition 3 ways.
    1. I haven't seen many "true fatties" on any of the forums I've visited. The majority of fatties have been stuffed.
    2. Any time folks have asked about fatties, they've never been told "It's a smoked sausage chub." They've been told "It's a sausage chub, plain or stuffed, cooked on a smoker."
    And 3. When I did a fatty this sumer, I did a stuffed one, wrapped in bacon, cooked indirect on my kettle. Worked great, good flavor and texture, with a good amount of smoke. When I'm told something is "better than sex" by the women I cooked for, either I'm doing something right or all the guys were doing something wrong. I prefer to think it's something right.

IMO, coming from my limited backyard cooker perspective, a strict definition like that will a) keep new folks nervous about this place, and b) serve to make us look like elitist snobs, intended or not. When we need to define something this strictly, outside of a competition setting, it raises my hackles. I've had someone argue that I wasn't "really 'cueing" because it was my kettle, not a "real" smoker. Someone else defined real 'cue as only coming from a stick burner "cause *real* 'cuers use all wood fires". Strictly for me, I'll never tell anyone "That's not right, because of ___." I'd rather build someone up and tell em "Great job, knew you could do it! Next time, maybe you could try ___."

OK, sorry, back to fatties. I can go along with "stuffed fatty" versus "fatty", bacause they make some sense, but I'll tell you right now I'm not gonna spend keyboard time telling someone "No no, that's a STUFFED fatty, not a PLAIN fatty." Life's too short, and it doesn't add to anyone's enjoyment of this forum, or live-fire cooking in general.

OK, Rant Mode off. If I'm out of line, let me know. Thoughtful PMs or posts, agreeing or disagreeing, accepted gratis. Rants of "You ____!!" must be accompanied by a $10 bill. Each curse word is an additional $5.

Less than a week and I'm already going up with an administrator. New record for this place.
    Dang Tex! Didn't realize there was an exposed nerve out there! My apology!
    First, I'm an "equal opportunity knowledge seeker", meaning I am a member of three other smoking/que forums, all to remain nameless.
    One of them defines fatty as: FATTY: Chub of breakfast sausage, left whole, and smoked. That is the original fatty, created back in 1957 by Al Q. Fatty (AKA Big Al). Smoker, grill, however, long as smoke is involved.

I hardly think defining terms will make any one nervous or make this site seem "elitist" by any measure. Two of the other sites maintain lists of terms, abreviations, etc. and the definitions of those. It is a big aid to the new person just joining the site. They have something to refer to when they see something they are not familiar with. If anything, it makes them feel better about the site since they don't have to ask what they feel is thought of as a dumb question.
    That is where I am going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by phatQ View Post
    Dang Tex! Didn't realize there was an exposed nerve out there! My apology!
    No apology needed. In fact, I owe you an apology for going off like that. You didn't mean to pull my chain, and I had no right getting that uptight about it.

First, I'm an "equal opportunity knowledge seeker", meaning I am a member of three other smoking/que forums, all to remain nameless.
    I'm actually on 4-5 other forums, too, active on 2, plus this one. So, we're both seeking knowledge, and want to share with others.

I hardly think defining terms will make any one nervous or make this site seem "elitist" by any measure.
    Not necessarily. My concern comes from having been on a couple forums where there were definite class distinctions. The backyarder was basically looked down on because they weren't in comps, or the newb was put down for not knowing the finer points of cooking. I just want to make sure we provide a good place where the person with his first grill can feel comfortable coming in and asking questions, and where the focus is on sharing ideas and results.

Two of the other sites maintain lists of terms, abreviations, etc. and the definitions of those.
    I think I suggested a FAQ area, or "Basic Knowledge" area, to Okie, just for similar reasons. I agree, it can help make folks feel comfortable. And a list of terms, abbreviations, etc, is a must, just to make sure we're speaking the same language. I just snapped because I've seen people have their confidence shattered because they felt like they didn't fit in. I will always work to make people feel comfortable and wanted, and I just want to make sure that's the culture of the Q Joint.

OK, now that we're buddy-buddy again, what else do we need to add to a terms list?
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

"Then, folks started adding things. Now, if you add something, anything, it is no longer a TRUE FATTY. It has become a STUFFED FATTY. Or a fatty with added ingredients. We've seen some "fattys" posted that had more added stuff than there was sausage in them. Folks, that is NOT a fatty".

Ok........Now.......Is a rubbed fatty a "Rubbed Fatty", or just a "Fatty" with spices on it?
    Geoff

What goes up, must come down.....Preferably to a soft landing!

I survived Indiana......... If you can call it that....

KCBS Certified Judge

Capt-N-Smoke BBQ Comp Team

BDS Deluxe 2343
    DBD 1 (Drum By Dawg) (Gone. Gave it to a friend for a Christmas present)
    Weber Kettle (for small smokes)
    Kenmore gas grill

I'll solve this................ I, am a Fatty!

FB

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    I'll solve this................ I, am a Fatty!
    Stuffed, wrapped, rubbed, or "true"?
    Rob - TX Sandman
    Plank Owner, TQJ

Quote Originally Posted by TX Sandman View Post
    Stuffed, wrapped, rubbed, or "true"?
    Ya beat me to it Sandman.......
    Geoff

What goes up, must come down.....Preferably to a soft landing!

I survived Indiana......... If you can call it that....

KCBS Certified Judge

Capt-N-Smoke BBQ Comp Team

BDS Deluxe 2343
    DBD 1 (Drum By Dawg) (Gone. Gave it to a friend for a Christmas present)
    Weber Kettle (for small smokes)
    Kenmore gas grill

Well, my definition would be...........sorry, not bottom of barrell!!
    Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team sponsored by Barsleaks/Rislone
    Authorized Backwoods dealer.
    B.O.D. GLBBQA
    Pitmaster - Lockharts BBQ of Royal Oak
    Owner-Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.

I don't know what the actual temp is, but it cooks the way I want it to, so I don't guess it really matters.

I guess you can call it a wentzimmer and it wouldn't change the fact of what it is.

Does it really matter?
    I would think this forum is a little new for all this drama so soon!t@
    VDS aka "IT"
    Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
    Kegerator(retired)
    OUTDOOR GOURMET 11-PIECE COMBO FRYER SET
    KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
    Formaly "The Q Joint" BBQ Team (The Butt Man)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Facebook

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast